Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Has anybody facebooked, tweeted, instagrammed or seen a spot in the waters we plow in an effort to put meat on the table?
Your correct!
It has worried me for over 5 yrs.
30 yrs or so we have held fish fry for/with neighbors. Most of the fish are usually spot, because they are easy to catch and keep young and old that want to get involved happy- just plain a fun fish to catch. (fish fry in now hot dogs)
Over the last several years the spot have gotten smaller and now all but disappeared! I have heard of a few being caught in lower bay to me its sad that many don't even see their MASS disappearance. And think the fall run is all there should be.(The fall run out of bay is the yellow bellies leaving bay) I guess they just got used to not seeing them and think its normal.
One of Maryland guys said something about recent cold winters , but they leave the bay in fall. (spot only live 3-4yrs. few make 5)
I blame purse seine netting! but have hope because they can recover fairly quickly.

Edit: I read somewhere they are called "Norfolk spot" ! Sadly, Now they are mostly in Maryland .

·
Registered
290 Posts
When you cant even run down the shore because their is a net every hundred yards late August through October, Its amazing any fish makes it through

·
Registered
296 Posts
Amen to that Fin Addict, but they do pull them out of the water for a week or two and then reset them for the schoolie striper run thru january. It won't be much longer before everything is wiped out except oyster crackers.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey look, i specialize in killin croaker & spot not just for bait either... keeper sized fish are FEW & FAR between!! Been gone for several years now... my favorite haunts are the James, from mmbt to the Warwick river, York river from bells rock down to the spit. Been getting worse every year! Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder could plainly see too many nets in the water... just try to go straight across the river at york state park... to the novice boater it looks impassable

We still catch em but most are apparently small enough to slip thru the nets...

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I just re-read my post and I forgot to say. in last 50 yrs -It was normal to catch them spring thru the summer. They came in at same time , or with-in a few weeks after, croaker showed up in bay.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Where have all the flowers, er, I mean,fish gone?

Same old sad story of supply and demand. Hasnt changed for 50 years. Every group of people known to man caught all they could carry to feed their clubs, groups, organizations and families, all intent on cheap fish and lots of it. Add in the netters who know no limits and no bounds and you get the picture. There arent any big fish left for the same reason that there are virtually NO big flounders anymore. Forget about ever seeing another 15-20 pounder, period. The reason they are gone is we caught them, never even giving them a chance to spawn. So now, if you want your "meat" I suggest you head to the fish market and buy it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Same old sad story of supply and demand. Hasnt changed for 50 years. Every group of people known to man caught all they could carry to feed their clubs, groups, organizations and families, all intent on cheap fish and lots of it. Add in the netters who know no limits and no bounds and you get the picture. There arent any big fish left for the same reason that there are virtually NO big flounders anymore. Forget about ever seeing another 15-20 pounder, period. The reason they are gone is we caught them, never even giving them a chance to spawn. So now, if you want your "meat" I suggest you head to the fish market and buy it.
You can't convince me that the industrial nets aren't killing everything that the industrial trawlers haven't already taken.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Caught a very few Friday and Saturday night off a pier near Urbanna on blood worms. Probably 6 total; I'd call them all #2 size.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts