Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is going to sound stupid to you folks with electric winched but bear with me.

So I got the winch for the trailer. (Dutton-Lanson TW9000.) Wiring it up looks pretty straight forward. I can run the wire along the underbody no problem. (Actually large problem for me but I can get help.)

My question is: At the back of the vehicle I need 5' or 6' to so to reach the winch. What the heck do you guys do with that section of wire when it's in use?

I mean I don't want to toss it over the bumper and into the back of the SUV. But I really don't see any way to secure it well below the vehicle. Is there some kind of box or something I can get to tuck it into?

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Bob
Grady 20

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mount a receptacle somewhere in the back of the suv. Sounds simple but finding a suitable spot is the problem. It’s not advisable to drill holes into the passenger compartment because if exhaust fumes danger.
You could put a trailer light connector on the vehicle end of the winch wire. However I don’t think the light wire can handle the amp draw of the winch.
Over the years I did like you. Ran it over the bumper and into the back into the vehicle. ,

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing I thought of was cutting the wire and installing a receptacle with a plug on the line to the winch. Problem is, where the heck do I get a receptacle / plug for one 8 gauge wire? I'm sure it exists somewhere for industrial use. But I don't think I'll find one st Home Depot or Amazon>

Bob
Grady 20

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I have a PowerWench brand wench. I kind of overbuilt my wiring.

I ran three runs of 8 gauge stranded wire from the battery to the back of my truck. Two were for the positive and one was for ground.

The positive terminal terminal of the battery has a 60 A circuit breaker attached to and the two wires on the other side of it. The ground wire was attached directly to the ground terminal of the battery.

In addition to that I used a 1/4-20 ribbed neck carrage bolt into the frame of the truck to get an added ground connection. Such bolts have ridges along the length of the bolt for the last 1/4" or so such that the first time that you tighten them up they bite into the hole and make great electrical contact. The ones that I have happen to have came from a garage door replacement that I did years ago.

I terminated the wires in the same two terminal male connector that came on my PowerWench. I mounted it to the bracket for my trailer hitch.

Next I made a 4 or 5 foot jumper with two female connectors from PowerWench. It stays under the back seat of my truck when not in use.

Once I got all of the connections made up under the hood and at the back bumper I coated everything with a thick layer of liquid electrical tape in order to keep moisture out. Another trick is to apply liquid electrical tape over a joint; slide some heat shrink tubing over it and shrink the heat shrink before the liquid electrical tape dries.

The only thing that I had to do after about 17 years was to replace the circuit breakers when I got some new battery terminals.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom - very informative and great info. I especially like the 17 years. If mine works that long I'll probably be dead!

shoot-straight - while I was typing my last post I was thinking that there are lots and lots of trailer winched out there. Someone must make a plug / receptacle setup for them. When I logged on again, there it was. Like magic!

Clicked the link you posted, checked it out, and then ordered it. Done.

Thx a bunch.

Bob
Grady 20

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Good! I have One, I would Not steer you wrong, no reason to make things excessively complicated. It's a simple mechanism. My end wire comes out my truck bed, I tuck it in a "hole" in my bed liner. Then just pull it out, connect to rest of cable (stowed under car seat) plug in and winch.

·
Registered
13,987 Posts
First thing I thought of was cutting the wire and installing a receptacle with a plug on the line to the winch. Problem is, where the heck do I get a receptacle / plug for one 8 gauge wire? I'm sure it exists somewhere for industrial use. But I don't think I'll find one st Home Depot or Amazon>

Bob
Grady 20

Try an electrical supply store........ Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts

Bob
Grady 20
Yes they are on Amazon about $12, and they include the ends that you solder to 8 gauge and a solder plug that you drop the end and they have a rubber cap for both plugs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK, this is going to sound stupid to you folks with electric winched but bear with me.

So I got the winch for the trailer. (Dutton-Lanson TW9000.) Wiring it up looks pretty straight forward. I can run the wire along the underbody no problem. (Actually large problem for me but I can get help.)

My question is: At the back of the vehicle I need 5' or 6' to so to reach the winch. What the heck do you guys do with that section of wire when it's in use?

I mean I don't want to toss it over the bumper and into the back of the SUV. But I really don't see any way to secure it well below the vehicle. Is there some kind of box or something I can get to tuck it into?

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Bob
Grady 20
Orion Motor Tech 6-8 Gauge Battery Quick Connect Disconnect Wire Harness Plug Kit for Recovery Winch or Trailer, 12-36V DC, 50A
link for Amazon connector

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can also use a trolling motor plug and socket. I found the plug at Walmart of all places but had to go to amazon for the socket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts