Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids asked the other day>> Where do "old fiberglass" boats go when they get scraped? Do they become 'reefs' or go to scrap yards?

·
Registered
575 Posts
1) Sitting on blocks, covered by weeds in someones' side yard.

2) Advertised on craigslist as 'handyman special, make offer'.

3) Sitting up in the yard at the local marina. The marina owner is always trying to 'give' it to his buddies.

I don't think many really get scrapped, there is always someone with a twinkle in his eye who will save a boat, however awful the condition it's in. He may never fix it up but it's just the idea of it that keeps the boat alive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You see cars all the time in junk yards but there aren't any boat junks yards so hence the question...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I know someone who cut his up in little piece's and threw it away with his garbage a little at a time. You do have budget boats.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
They go "to a farm" where they can run and play all day long...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I took my .73 hydrasport bass boat and hacked it into pieces with a sawZall and made a dump trip. Tank went to the anual fire dept collection. Sold the outboard and with some work the trailer is an great utility trailer.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I have read that Maryland has a tough law about abandoning boats...some jail time and a heavy fine if you are the last owner. But they also have a program that if you let the State know that you have a boat to dispose of, they will bring the equipment and the wrecking crew to a a boat ramp agreeable to all parties and cut up and dispose of the boat at no cost to the owner.

Bob Allen Hampton VA

·
Registered
883 Posts
There was a lot full of FG boats in Laplata. After being there for several years, they cut them up and put them in a huge chipper. Something to do with insurance, so I heard. Was some nice boats in there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been at the landfill on more than one occasion when someone trailered a boat in, backed up, and pushed it off. it was quickly cut up by the guys that work there. Funny thing was they looked better than some you see for sale.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts