Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back in town from Morehead and have trip for Friday. The 130's put away and striper gear rigged up, but do not know where the bite is. Ran up the beach yesterday and marked some bait but not much.

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Virginia Bite

I fished the mouth of the bay yesterday (outside the line) from Cape Charles to Cape Henry and all the way to Rudy Inlet. I caught one 40" fish at 9AM and that was it. Lots of birds and bait fish, but the bite was off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard someone at the number 4 can had luck aroung noon with eels, but he was very close to the line.

My guess is that until the weather turns cold it's going to be hit or miss.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Fished off Cape Henry yesterday. Lots a bait. Got a couple of blues. We got a call and moved over off of Fisherman Island. Caught a few in 35 " range. While there got a call from a friend waaaay north of us.(20 miles or so). They had limited out in no time. Big fish.

Dennis:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I wouldn't go south....
A guy at my dock said he got into them good this afternoon NE of the 4A, fish up to 39".
I fished Wed down south to the NC border and the menhaden boats were down off NC moving north with spotter plane. Marked a couple pods of bait but not much down there....
Good luck

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
How the heck do we know !! We been waiting on the Succession to head out to see where you go !! (Dennis made me say it)

·
Registered
37 Posts
fished saturday jan 6th south of sandbridge on Big Daddy out of rudee Had bait gannets and 38 to 42 inch fish [13 total] in 5 hours .....a little slow but fun none the less for the folks who traveled from afar to get in on this years bite.....:)

·
Registered
420 Posts
We fished CH Saturday and dd OK but it sounded like they were doing alot better around the golf ball. The docks were full of fish when we returned and those boats didn't go by us on the way back.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I have been fishing longer than many of you have been alive...25 years ago most recreational boaters began fishing in May and put their boat away just after Labor day weekend for the winter lay-up!. At that time folks were astounded that I said I fished right up to Christmas day. That was usually my cut off...Approximately 5 or 6 years ago, we began complaining about how poor the fall fishing was. The rockfishing was poor until Thanksgiving...we could usually count on the arrival of some nice rockfish by Thanksgiving. I could count on going over to the High Rise of CBBT and catch a limit of 32 inch fish and be home in time to drive ot Richmond(9:30am) for Thanksgiving dinner;taking two rockfish to my sisiter. It was like clockwork. Very predictable.

The fishing experience in the time period between Oct 4(opening day of the season) and Dec 15 has changed rapidly. Those years I caught the Thanksgiving catch, we could count on the length of the CBBT being covered with big fish by Dec 5th. Now, when the large fish arrive, they do not necessiarliy congregate along the CBBT (in daylight)..and when do we now count on the BIG fish...JANUARY ...but where are they this year?? The big fish are still in their summer habitat...Snow will drive the fish south...but there has been no snow up north. Snow falling into the salt water must melt(laws of physics)...the amount of heat required to change snow to water is immense...the heat is extracted from the water into which it falls. So an inch or two or snow falling into water shocks the fish and drops the surface water immediatley...My mentor, Dr. W. A Boatwright, now deceased, told me 40 years ago that when the first snow falls in VA..the rockfishing ends...(he was mainly referring to James river -where we fished regularly) snow on water is the message telling the fish it is time to get out of there...Times are changing...weather patterns are changing. Fishing is different from just a few years ago.

I had a long time employee who grew up in Pennsylvania : she would often comment that the lakes and creeks would freeze annually. Everyone had ice skates and that was their primary winter passtime...ice skating...She says that none of the lakes freeze any longer and no one ice skates up there. It has been years since they had freezing lakes.

I remember a time when Jack Travelstead , inquiring about tautog fish, of which i did a lot in spring and fall, when there were few rockfish hereabouts. , asked me if there was a winter fishery for togs...i said "no, most everyone puts their boats away about Jan 1.."...I could never say that today..Fishing is almost year round now. The winters are milder; this winter is an extreme example of the changes..The fish are still north and will not come down until some snow falls or until extreme cold comes to New England, NY and NJ...

This year is much different from last...last was different from the one before. The fish are later coming from the North. They may not come any further than they already have...unless we get a dramatic weather change...There are still lots of big cows inside Chesapeake Bay...many I believe are still up pretty far north(with bait). The few fish that are at the mouth of Chesapeake Bay are feeding on one inch long Bay anchovies...that is about all there is to eat there right now...that is why there are no gannets there...gannetts cannot survive on Bay anchovies...terns and a few rockfish can.

Saturday a neighbor said there was a mile of gannets feeding in 16 ft of water off Smith Island Sat..but they could not catch a fish...nor were there any signs of fish...lots of bait..no fish...I told him during the cooler weather, without plankton or surf mud , the gannets could see the bait-fish and did not need feeding rockfish to drive the bait to the surface...Gannets could see through the water column and could dive and feed on the baitfish all the way to the bottom in 16 ft..the birds need fish beneath the bait in deeper water, driving them to the surface to be food for the birds. ..so most of the time a rule of thumb for me is do not fish in that shallow water under gannets, as they will fool you much of the time. 30+ feet depth with gannets yields much higher percentage of fish than gannets in 15 ft of water. I believe there are many gannets up inside Chesapeake bay and show up here when the upper bay chills sufficiently.

Just some personal observations to add to your own...

Bob Allen, Hampton VA (age 73)

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Kevin,

Check the offshore board from some time around last week. There was a report or two near Warhapreque (Spelling?) that they were still catching fish up north, while the fish around Cape Henry had lock jaw!

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
420 Posts
Wow, Dr. Allen. Incredible post. So much of our Tidewater fishing legacy is being lost and not recorded. I wish we could get some of this recorded on video for all future fisherman and bay ecologist alike. Everybody talks about the health of the bay but It's hard to really comprehend it without a past comparison. I can vaguely remember the entire banks of the James river covered with eel grass all the way to the Warwick. Soft crabs were everywhere. It's all gone now. I'd sure pay a million bucks to have you, Bob Diggs, and Irv Fenton sit down and record some fishing memories for the rest of us. There must be 160 years of combined fishing experience with you three.
Bob Diggs was telling me about how he could go just offshore but in sight of the Va Beach hotels and load his boat with YFT in the summer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts