Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since no one is reporting on Rockfish, I will put up a thread.

My Mother and I went out scouting on Saturday. We ran out to the upper Bay and looked all around. No fish on the sonar. No birds in the binoculars. No boats anywhere. We finally marked a few (looked small) on the sonar in 20 feet west of Love Point but by this time we were pretty well convinced we would not be fishing near here for now. Since we were not allowed to actually catch the fish we did not stay out until sunset.

Water Sky Jeans Boat Cloud

Mom and I having determined where not to fish on Saturday left us guessing where to start on Sunday. Jason, Matt, Russell and I launched at 6:00 Sunday morning on Jason's boat. We decided to start on some shorelines. We never left the shorelines.

By 8:00 we had caught about 15 fish each on five inch paddletails, five inch poppers, Tony 17s and, as often is the case in spring, seven inch Sebile Magic Swimmers caught the biggest fish. Everything was producing in numbers and the biggest fish came from within 10 feet of shore.

We stopped at 5 different spots and every spot produced but one of the spots was mostly dinks so we we left there. The current stopped moving about 11:00 and we never caught another fish but stayed out until 1:00. Each of us caught about 25 or thirty fish from 20 to 30 inches.

Water Sky Vertebrate Fisherman Boat

Water Sky Cloud Boat Vertebrate

Water Sky Boat Vertebrate Cloud

Water Boat Sky Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Watercraft

Water Sky Cloud Goggles Vertebrate

It was a great day! And there was not another boat near us the entire time! We thought there would be boats everywhere.

Every fish was caught on barbless hooks and released (Except the Sebile hooked fish which tend to be bigger - I leave the barbs on those but usually try to switch out to single hooks.)

Pat

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mom, Matt and I went out again last night. Fished around a very slow and low high tide. Water never really got moving and the fishing was slow. We picked off a few here and there but it was not hot and heavy. Still all on shorelines but we did look around for fish to jig on and did not find any. Beautiful night and Mom got to catch a few so definitely a success.

Pat
Water Sky Musical instrument Outdoor recreation Fisherman

Water Boat Vertebrate Sky Lake

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Went again last night with Matt, my son and my nephew. Beautiful evening. Everything seemed right (but the current was slow). But we struggled. We each caught a couple 24 inch fish and a number of smaller but the size and the quantity was down for sure. Lots of casting and almost all fish came on 5 inch paddletails. Beautiful and fun but a little disappointing.

Still on the shorelines. Still did not find any fish to jig on.

Pat

Water Cloud Boat Sky Smile

Water Cloud Sky Shorts Boat

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
My plan as I sit here in Gaithersburg at work is to go out tonight.
I have sneks on my mind when this time of year rolls around but I am flexible. ;)
Whatever pulls my string, I'm good with that.
Going to have to check out some shallow water stuff.
Thanks Pat.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
359 Posts
My plan as I sit here in Gaithersburg at work is to go out tonight.
I have sneks on my mind when this time of year rolls around but I am flexible. ;)
Whatever pulls my string, I'm good with that.
Going to have to check out some shallow water stuff.
Thanks Pat.

Hope you did better than we did. The wind was howling up the river and we got skunked. M got hurt at work so she wasn't on her game. There were lots of big fish there which I suspect were exiting Rockfish.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hope you did better than we did. The wind was howling up the river and we got skunked. M got hurt at work so she wasn't on her game. There were lots of big fish there which I suspect were exiting Rockfish.
Checked out a snek area where I saw action this past Monday. Saw nothing last night.
It will get better as the grass fills in and gets warmer.
The water is very shallow there.

The tide was still going out slowly from a creek there so I thought I'd check one of my points out along the bay.
When I arrived, it was low and at a lull so no current at the point that has been good to me.

On my way back I just scanned a 25' hole surrounded with 14' OW with my Lowrance but didn't want to stop.

Ran into a creek cove that has plenty of water even at low tide. I'm calling 1'-2' plenty of water. :D
Threw a #4 Fire Tiger Mepps, Chatterbait, an in-line spinner (I made) ahead of a small swim shad, topwater frog, weightless fluke and a silver #4 Tony with a yellow feather. That is what the bass hit.
I'm loving the Power Poles I installed in Feb.

Fish Food Tree Water Cooking
Water Boat Sky Vehicle Watercraft
Water Vehicle Plant Watercraft Watercourse
Water Sky Cloud Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
556 Posts

My Mother and I went out scouting on Saturday. We ran out to the upper Bay and looked all around. No fish on the sonar. No birds in the binoculars. No boats anywhere. We finally marked a few (looked small) on the sonar in 20 feet west of Love Point but by this time we were pretty well convinced we would not be fishing near here for now. Since we were not allowed to actually catch the fish we did not stay out until sunset.

View attachment 281486

Mom and I having determined where not to fish on Saturday left us guessing where to start on Sunday. Jason, Matt, Russell and I launched at 6:00 Sunday morning on Jason's boat. We decided to start on some shorelines. We never left the shorelines.

By 8:00 we had caught about 15 fish each on five inch paddletails, five inch poppers, Tony 17s and, as often is the case in spring, seven inch Sebile Magic Swimmers caught the biggest fish. Everything was producing in numbers and the biggest fish came from within 10 feet of shore.

We stopped at 5 different spots and every spot produced but one of the spots was mostly dinks so we we left there. The current stopped moving about 11:00 and we never caught another fish but stayed out until 1:00. Each of us caught about 25 or thirty fish from 20 to 30 inches.

View attachment 281487

View attachment 281488

View attachment 281489
View attachment 281490
View attachment 281491

It was a great day! And there was not another boat near us the entire time! We thought there would be boats everywhere.

Every fish was caught on barbless hooks and released (Except the Sebile hooked fish which tend to be bigger - I leave the barbs on those but usually try to switch out to single hooks.)

Pat

View attachment 281486

View attachment 281487

View attachment 281488

View attachment 281489
View attachment 281490
View attachment 281491

Pat
Thanks for the outstanding report Pat! Sounds like you guys have had some excellent trips. Thanks for the details and the pictures. I have not been out for rock yet, I would like to go but I'm also itching to get to Wachapreague and seabass opens on the 15th. We will see....love that boat Pat!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Jeff - that boat of yours is so tricked out. What a fishing machine!

Chris - thanks, as always, for the kind words. Good luck on the Seabass, one of the best eating fish I have come across. Never had one until Matt took me out last year and we loaded a cooler.

Last report for this thread. A couple of out of town friends and I went out on Friday. Launched super early (says I, a notorious evening fisherman) and headed straight for the shorelines. We hit multiple shorelines and caught a whole mess of fish. Some spots held mostly dinks but the next spot was sure to produce better fish, though I don't think we caught anything over 28 inches all day. Did not bother with a bunch of pictures.

At the end of the day I told one of the guys (not really a Rockfish fisherman) to pick a spot to fish. He headed for a shoreline that I have never fished before and we caught fish right away, though they were all dinks. Just shows how well the shorelines are holding right now.

Tried once again to find fish to jig on but no luck. If anyone knows where there are fish to jig on, let me know 😀

Once again, there were almost no boats out there. Not once did we have to move on from a spot because someone else was in there or showed up later.

Pat
Water Sky Boat Watercraft Cloud

Smile Sky Water Cloud Sleeve

Water Sky Cloud Smile Fin

Water Sky Vertebrate Cloud Fisherman

1 - 18 of 18 Posts