Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can someone help me identify the area referred to as Gun Rock at the mouth of the York? I was guessing the area at the mouth of the Perrin River, but just wanted to be sure.

Edit:
Good thing I haven't been paddling around in the York looking for this place. I found out it is actually in the James just up from the JRB.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That's a pretty wide part o' the river, & the current ain't no joke thru there either, add to that quite a bit of power boat traffic... can't recall seeing much paddling going on in that particular area but lots of anchored fishing, good luck hope its a good season

·
Registered
443 Posts
where is Gun Rock at in the James, Ive never heard of it, and I fish the James quite a bit.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Gun Rock is an area of oyster bed lying west of the James River Bridge and east of the Warwick River. The area can be found on NOAA Chart 12248 west of Brown's Shoal. My uncle used to tong for oysters in this area.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The area around red#2 and red#4 just up from Brown Shoal. It's not marked with the name on the chart, just a bump with hard bottom.

·
Registered
407 Posts
good fishing there, not to far away fro Thomas's watch house. The ruins can still be picked up on your bottom machine. That was a house on stilts that was occupied back in the day to keep people from stealing the oysters from Thomas's rock. not to far away from gun rock.

·
Registered
443 Posts
so what is usually caught out there??? croaker??? and my cousin is gill netting for sturgeon right now in the James (its a state run program) and he hasn't caught a rock in over a week, lots of bunker and catfish…….

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only saw one reference to a fishing report from there online and it said some nice flounder were caught there a few years ago, but that was also the one that described it as being at the mouth of the York just inside of Tue Marsh Light, so the reliability of that one is questionable.

I was curious about it, because I want to try something different this summer. I plan to find some places further inland than the HRBT and the mouth of Back River that I can fish from my kayak and catch sheepshead. I have a few places in mind to try that have man-made structure, but I also want to try some places with natural structure like active and old oyster beds & reefs. I have a feeling that if I can find some good natural vertical structure like that that I can find at least some smaller sheepshead to have fun catching and releasing. I could be wrong, but I think it will be fun to try. After checking this area out on the charts, it is definitely a possibility (Taking MntSktr17's mention of the water conditions and boat traffic into consideration and maybe trying it on a perfect day when the winds and current line up just right).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts