Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the ending of deer season,Me and sum friends would like to go Bow hunting for
boar,Can you point us in the right direction for a lodge or guide service?We all live here in
hampton va ....Thanks for any info!!!

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Only 135 Acres???????? On a preserve?

I went to a place in North central Tennessee about 4 years ago and was ready to go back before I left. Awesome Operation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10+

Look up www.Wildernesshuntinglodge.com

They are a family run preserve type operation that lets you hunt on your own (Guides available but not needed) Price includes 3 day hunt, all lodging and meals. All home cooked by the family, sausage, biscuits, and egs for breakfast, Thanksgiving grade lunches and a hearty stew or soup for the evening. Clean accomodations. On site butchering and the best sausage I have ever had.

When I was there they were in the process of separating the exotics from the boars to keep on separate parcels of land. The boars were eating some of the exotic fawns. The boar hunting was on 1100+/- acres of rocks, hills and valleys.

Although fenced in, the 1100' acres provides good room for hunting with Archery equipment although there are some that prefer muzzleloaders, rifles and some with knives and spears. I shot mine with a bow and let me tell you, when a boar turns and looks at you at 25 yards, it'll make the hair on your neck stand up. I got run over by one, stalked by one, and don't care to have it happen again.

All of the boar are either trapped wild by the staff or are shipped in from the wild from Canada.

On site taxidermy available by an award winning Taxidermist that picks up on site after each morning and afternoon hunt.

Good luck, it's addictive.

Chris

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
there is a hunting lodge in NC called chestnut hill lodge , it is owned by the guy who played the sherrif on the dukes of hazzard . I think the lodge is in NE corner of the state . I know some guys that went there no pig no pay is how it works .

·
Registered
100 Posts
www.buffalocreekguideservice.com

Went about two years ago with 4 guys. We all got pigs, mine was 310lbs, but if you want to bowhunt, you need to set up a trip where you can hunt for a couple of days. The food and lodging where great, and the hunting was good. We did go back the following year with 12 guys only to get 2 pigs. It is NOT a fenced in hunt, but the guy will work his ass off to get you a pig. Good Luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been to the chestnut hunting lodge in NC. Would look elsewhere personally. Went down with two others, we all got a boar but none of us were really satisfied with the whole experience. They left their heads the to get mounted and took over 2 years (no joke) and alot of phone calls to finally get them shipped to MD

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
A friend of mine once killed a wild pig in a State Park in Southwest Virginia- I think it was called Fairystone or something similar. He said it was pretty torn up, that was ten years ago.

I jsut read an article the other day about the habitat degradation, disease, livestock and game animal depradation caused by wild pigs. I remember in Florida they would beg you to kill them. Apparently they're hard to get rid of once established.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
If you do a search for Wild Boar in Virginia there are two or three areas in SW Virginia like Choptank said that do contain some wild boar. I believe they are on State Parks

A few things to remember and these are based on experience.

1. Two types of Boar hunt. Preserve and Wild.

A. Preserve: IT IS FENCED IN. Make up your mind whether this is for you or not. I
personally fealt that on 1100 acres of rocks and steep mountainsides that hunting
with a bow it was still a challenge with pigs that were wild just a short time ago.
Wilderness does not use pen raised animals. Of course there are some there that
have been there a while. One could compare it to spring trout season. There are
plenty of fish there, you pretty much know you're going to get your limit, it's just a
matter of how big you want the fish to be and how long you want it to take. Out of a
three day hunt, we spent the first day just roaming the property and seeing what
was available. I saw two or three really big boar that I would have shot but I
COULDN'T GET WITHIN BOW RANGE!!!! I took a nice razorback on the second day
but nothing that compared to what I saw on day one. Day three was another casual
day. We wanted to make sure the meat was solidly frozen for the trip back.

B. Wild: Ater our preserve hunt I "shopped" around at the outdoor show in Harrisburg
to see what other outfitters had to offer and this is what I found. In the wild boars
are VERY nocturnal and secluded in some very nasty stuff, generally speaking.
There are two ways to hunt them like this that I found. Sitting over bait or running
them with dog and witing for the dogs to corner them for a kill. Neither idea
appealed to me. The other thing was, the other outfitters whether in the wild or on
preserve required that a guide be with you to prevent accidental kills or lost
animals. While I understand the logic, after being able to "self guide" and hunt as I
wished I didn't want a guide on a preserve hanging over my back. More enjoyable
to just hunt and call them when needed.

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts