Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can help out. Taking my kayaks to va beach over 4th of July and would like to know best place to fish. Thinking Rudee inlet or lynhaven? Best chance for puppy drum or trout?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
take your kayak near Chick's beach and launch at the foot of the CBBT. Fish around the pilings. There are several kayakers who post videos from around the CBBT, one guy is kayak kevin, check his web site

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For Cbbt you mean out to the last island? Have my wife w me so I don't want to go out into too much rough water. Fish the Cbbt in my boat. Was hoping to fish some shallow areas in lynhaven or rudees for redfish if they are there. Fish the mid Chesapeake all the time so a little shallow water lure fishing is what I was hoping for. Anything in the inlets yet shallow? If I stay in shallow areas I figured I could avoid the crowded boat areas?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chicks

For Cbbt you mean out to the last island? Have my wife w me so I don't want to go out into too much rough water. Fish the Cbbt in my boat. Was hoping to fish some shallow areas in lynhaven or rudees for redfish if they are there. Fish the mid Chesapeake all the time so a little shallow water lure fishing is what I was hoping for. Anything in the inlets yet shallow? If I stay in shallow areas I figured I could avoid the crowded boat areas?
Ok looking at it where can I launch at Chicks? Is it just go to beach and wheel the Kayaks to the water? What should I be fishing for around pilings? Are there any sheepshead? Thx for any help Only have 2 days to enjoy the fishing here and want to try to make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The closest place to launch next to the CBBT is at Fentress, the Bouy 44 Grill. You can unload next to the restaurant then park on Fentress or Lauderdale (watch the parking signs). There is also a public access at Seaview just a block over. You will want to get there early to get a parking spot. You don't need to go to all the way to the 1st island. You can start catching sheepshead, spadefish & flounder as close in as the 1st small boat channel. With that said, the weekend of the 4th is 3 days after a full moon. The current is going to be strong. Maximum currents at 1.5 miles from the beach are going to be .8 to 1.04 knots. If you aren't used to kayak fishing in those types of currents, the inlets may be a better bet for you for that weekend. Flounder and some pups have been caught in Lynnhaven lately. Another option is to fish the jetties at Little Creek launching from the beach at East Ocean View and just 1/2 a mile off the beach there (but about 1 mile paddle from the launch) is the ODU (East Ocean View) Reef. The currents should be milder there:
http://www.mrc.virginia.gov/vsrfdf/eoceanview_reef.shtm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts