Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just PCSed to the VA area this past fall and I have not tried for cats down here but would like to. Where would I have the best chance getting into them and what would be the best bait. From what I've read so far it seems like shad is the way to go. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
it just depends on how far you wanna travel........i installed my new kickass Garmin in the boat today and when i was getting some of my secret numbers off the old unit (its only 8 months old) i noticed that the boat ramp up there at deep bottom is 74 miles from my drive way here in va beach !!

·
Registered
365 Posts
When you say "from shore", do you mean from the Va beach area, or are you referring to actually fishing from shore, as in, not a boat?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm down in Va beach but dont have a problem with driving if it means I might actually get some pullage. Unfortunately I don't have a boat to date which this time of year means that my fishing on the oceanfront is pretty much limited to people on the VA board who are nice enough to take me along. I've actually never caught anything but bullhead in CT. I tried for the giant cats while I was in germany but never had any luck. those bubbas get over 500lbs. Hopefully that will make it easier for you guys to give advice. Sorry I was vague in the begining

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Hopewell City Park in Hopewell VA has a nice pier to fish from. I've heard of 40 lbers comming from there and yes shad is the bait. I think it closes around dark that may be a drawback.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
nca, you might give hells pt creek a try,its in va beach. go like headin to sand bridge, theres a good sam rv park(camp ground) that used to (2yrs ago) let folks pay to fish from shore, they got a small ramp also. weve had good numbers of cats to about 15 pounds, not monsters, but good pullage, and no 70 mile drive. regualar old nite crawlers worked about as good as anything, as we tried most everything under the sun.

thers also a fair number of crappie and pickeral if youve got the patience to work small jigs.

north landing near fentress field in great bridge is another spot, not big, as 5 pounds is a good one, but you can catch everything there, stripers, bass, sunfish, bowfin, carps(had a 56Lb in 03'). this place is good because you can sit in your ride and watch your poles if its cold, or use the grills to cook up lunch on nice days.

danny

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
ah the days of hells creek ! i have drowned 6,872 dozen worms back there in the last 25 years.....long before there was ever a damn neck road or ocean lakes houses ! i still go but put the lil boat in on base and go from there to lago mar.........

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
How is the Dismal Swamp area for catfish? Never heard it mentioned here. That would be close to this guy, and probably a good place to take a small boat or canoe he can get on base.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
dismal swap for most people is off limits- there is how ever lots of places along 17 that have pic nic/ fishing areas from deep creek all the way to NC

·
Registered
846 Posts
AHHH! The Single Man sorry days I had living in VA Beach while working on the railroad in Norfolk. I used to trap muskrats, ****, grey fox and an occasional otter on hells point creek. Back in 1980 some days before a storm would get the varmits moving good and with fur prices sky high, I would take $300 worth of fur in one day off that creek. That was when money was worth something. I lived off my railroad paycheck and banked the fur money. I made enough in one season to pay for two years of Grad School at William and Mary. Of Course, Grad school in those days was $750 a semester. Ahh the good old days.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
martineta- i bet we BS'd some back then i joined the navy in 1981 and fished hells creek almost daily from 1981 into the 90's.....i had one of those super wide jon boats with a 9 1/2 evinrude (yes the 1/2 not .9) and days of so many catfish they covered the floor of the boat.........

·
Registered
846 Posts
Very well could have. I trapped out of a 10 foot v hull sears aluminum boat painted duckboat green powered by a 4 horse Chrysler outboard also painted green. I used and abused that motor in the mud and ice up that creek. Ended up cracking something in the lower unit and rusting out everything down below. I bought a vintage 1968 six horse johnson to finish out the season. I still have the old johnson and it still starts by the third pull. I drove a 75 green chevy C10 in those days. Boat in the back of the truck and carried the motor in the cab with me. Those were good days.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hey whats up ,well you can try tide water community college in the spring, april. plenty of cats come in but no gaints like in surry mostly 2 to 6lbs,ers lot of fun if you have kids catfish nibbles and liver, and blood bite,s work best 'have fun '[grin]

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Yeah the good old days......when kids walked 10 miles to school barefooted in the snow. We're kinda spoiled now aren't we?

moe

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Up hill....... both ways....... in the snow with a hot potatoe to keep your hands warm.. and then you ate it for lunch![grin]

·
Registered
372 Posts
There are two "marinas" on West Neck Rd out near Pungo as well. You can fish from the bank at both of them. Nothing big, but there are definitely cats in there. 1-3 pounds all day long, with the occasional 5-6.

Edit: Almost forgot...if you're scared of snakes, don't go to either of those places. Especially West Neck Marina (the one closest to Princess Anne Rd). That place is LOADED with snakes. We used to fish out there in a jon boat we rented on base, and big copperheads would try and sneak into the boat. I ran into two guys one day who killed a 6 footer that was trying to get in there boat. So be careful.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Try the fishing pier at the West Point public boat landing.
Seen lots of nice cats caught there.
Croaker should be showing up this spring also.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
NC you have a bmail offer for big fat rockfish tomorro............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts