Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been approached by the NOAA Chesapeake Bay Office, the folks that are responsible for maintaining a network of 9 observational buoys in the Bay known as the Chesapeake Bay Interpretive Buoy System or CBIBS. They have asked for input for a suggested site location for a buoy near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. These buoy record and transmit real-time data about local weather (temp, wind speed, wind direction) and water (waves, currents, temp.) conditions and are used by boaters and fishermen. I am requesting that you submit site(s) that you would like to see have a buoy installed at and I will provide them the recommend sites that you provide. For more information about the buoy system, go to www.buoybay.noaa.gov.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
David,

Anywhere smack in the middle around 4A would be good. But I'd like to see a full weather buoy with wind, wave, temps, everything, not just a wave buoy like 44099 near the CLT. The problem with just a wave buoy is the wind can have just started to kick up but the waves have not have time to build. Or the other way around, the wind may have recently died down but the waves are still high. Just a wave buoy can be deceiving.

And while they are spending our tax payers money, tell them to fix the wind sensor on 44014 before the offshore season kicks in. 44014 which has been broken for a very long time now.

·
Registered
574 Posts
How about "fishing central"?

Man, I'd love to be able to dial up or click up real-time conditions close to the 3rd Island of the CBBT. Something like a mile due east seems good--close enough for accurate sea conditions at the 3rd, and far enough away to get away from the influence of the island itself.

Foy

·
Registered
917 Posts
I didn't know that 44014 even had a wind sensor. I would take fixing that a million times over a new buoy at the mouth of the bay.

·
Registered
294 Posts
buoy location

the 4a is on a relatively shallow area, shelf area. Therefore, I recommend about 5 1/4 miles east south east (95-100 degrees) of there. that would put it 8 miles from the line of demarcation for the bay and ocean, and hence about halfway to chesapeake light. Additionally, it would also not give skewed readings from a light northerly wind such as at 4a with the cape charles peninsula to its north nor from increased wave frequency due to the shallow water there.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Man, I'd love to be able to dial up or click up real-time conditions close to the 3rd Island of the CBBT. Something like a mile due east seems good--close enough for accurate sea conditions at the 3rd, and far enough away to get away from the influence of the island itself.

This would be perfect, this one definitely gets my vote!

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
How about one in the middle between Baltimore and Thimble Shoals Channel on the east side of th CBBT. Best of both worlds

1 - 19 of 19 Posts