Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed down Sunday, might want to fish the ocean front. Where could I launch out of Rudee? Boat is a 23' walk around, sits kind of high on the trailer so it needs a decent ramp to float it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Owl's Creek next to the VA Marine Science Museum and you better get there very......and I mean very early or you'll be waiting awhile.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
If the boat ramp parking lot is full there is an overflow parking lot across the street. Free parking on both sides.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you go to the city ramp beware every idiot that owns a boat puts in there! I would rather pay the $7 for Crab Creek at least they have ringmasters for that circus!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Sounds like the tides are REALLY low. I know even in Little Creek on Tuesday I had 3ft or less under my boat where I usually have 5ft. Better plan around high tide for sure

·
Registered
49 Posts
Take your time and give others the same all will go well. Big problem at Rudee is that you need to have someone take the boat away from the ramp piers at lunch while you park. This will prevent our at least help prevent a bottle neck. Same thing when retriving. Drop someone off to get the trailer. beware there will always be someone who feels they were next because of whan they got in or what position there boat trailer is in. So you can only go with the flow. Good luck
Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Be careful Owl creek in the morning most are in a rush to get out. Because of the lack of docking space it really helps if you have someone take the boat off while you park your trailer. They can motor in to pick you up. The reverse when you return drop off someone to get your trailer. Be careful folks are always in a hurry to get out so go as fast as you can while being safe. I believe at Owl creek the next person is the one whose trailer is next. I have seen people get mad because there trailer was next and someone parked at the end of the ramp and because they felt they pulled in and they should be able to park at the end of the ramp to get there trailer. What to do?
Good luck

Mike

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
The other problem with Owl's Creek is the city officials have decided that once the parking lot is full the ramp is closed. They will station police there from time to time to enforce the matter. I have been turned away at 7AM in the past.

If you get stuck there is an option. You can launch at the ramp at First Landing State park. Drive (north/west) along Pacific Ave. Turn left on 64th street and continue at the end of the street into the park. It will take you like 20 minutes to get past the no wake zone but at least you get out on the water. Next up the road is Bubba's at Lynhaven with public Crab Creek ramp across the bridge.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Typically . . . any time.

For the next 4 to 6 weeks. . . E A R L Y. Especially after the end of December. Like I said above I got in line at 7AM and was told sorry you can't launch even if you are taking your trailer back to your buddy's house. That was the first weekend in Jan. 2008.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts