Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering where to launch to fish the high rise. Is there a way to not have to pay the bridge fee and launch close to the bridge?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
TWo options, Sunset Hotel beach launch or launch from the Easternshore National Wildlife Refuge, bot are long (at least 10 mile roundtrip paddles). Not to mention paddling in the treadmill. You best and easiest shot at a big striper will be a surf launch some where between Cape Henry and Oregon INlet.
The high rise is not for newbies. I dont even l;ike going there in my motorboat.

See you in the surf!

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of heading to oregon inlet as well. I have a month off for winter break so I want to find some way to fish.

I have 4wd so I guess a surf launch would be a good plan. I just need to get a dry top.

·
Registered
300 Posts
JP,
High Rise paddle from Sunset Beach is 3.1 miles each way. Then there is the treadmill. Honestly, timing current and using the eddies behind the pilings, it's not that bad. Still a crazy place with big fish. I think the bite is over there for the year, concentrating on OBX beaches, now. I got a 4x4 and time off at Xmas, too. I'm thinking load the Jeep and stake out the beach 24/7 for a few days. Heard the yakers whacked big stripers at Corrolla last week. Gotta get me some. Might go this weekend, but the wind may not cooperate. Get up and we'll plan something out.

Ric
757-289-5136

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Rick,

Is there a way to access the northern beaches with a 4wd.

My cell # is 410-279-8730. I have a truck which can fit two kayaks in the bed. I am going down possible this weekend, give me a call.

Jay

·
Registered
300 Posts
From Corrolla north you can drive on the beach. There is some limited beach access on the Southern Shores but the ocean is so close to the road it is not even worth driving on the sand. Just pull up, unload, and drag your boat. From Pea Island south, you can drive on the beach. Depending on the weather and fish, I may hit the beach up here in VB this weekend. I can fit two yaks on the Jeep, too. Post on fishmilitia.com had a dude whacking fish to 42 inches in Kitty Hawk last weekend. Yeah, dog!

I'll give you a call
Ric
757-289-5136

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have off (if I want it) the weekend between Christmas and New Years. If anyone can get a day off during the week, let me know, we can plan to hit the OBX beaches. I plan on picking the best weather day, if there is one that week.

Tom

·
Registered
575 Posts
SKUNK for all four of us. No fish seen, no bites, nothing! Cold and snotty too. I think next time I'll wait until I see a wind report that starts with 'S' instead of 'N'.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I think the high rise is too insane any time of the year for a yak.

The dangers, not necessarily in order:

1. The tides within 1000 yards of fisherman's island are just TOO BRUTAL. either outgoing or incoming, the volume of water coming around fisherman's island is about ten times the normal amount. All you have to do is look at a map of the bay and see how the water coming out, or going into the bay creates a huge rip zone with the volume of everything north being bottlenecked. That water does not take a smooth, long turn after heading down past the third island. It races out the quickest, way as it gets sucked out or pushed in around that point. Even the best touring yakkers would never be able to hold a position. Dead tide, or even slow tide does not exhist there.

An exellent, fit, touring class sea kayaker could safely navigate through there going with the tide, but never against (as long as he planned on ending up a long way away)

2. It is very long paddle out there from the closest put-in with the tides.

3. The waves created from the rips around the point are 2 feet higher than everywhere else in the bay.

the rips and currents on the northeast and north side of fisherman's island are pretty manageable, as long as you don't get close to the southern edge.

The small boat channel (north) and flats (6-12ft. deep) north of the island are an easy paddle, and should get you a chance at most things you would find at the high rise. big stripers, cobia, drum, Etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts