Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 yr old Tarpon T120 Angler's Edition with a rudder system. I also have a Hummingbird 565 fishfinder. I want to install it, but I was wondering where on the Tarpon is the best place to place a fish finder?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Here are some pics of how I rigged my old Tarpon 140. I drilled the holes to run the run the wires right beneath the mount base. If I were to do it again I would drill the holes for the wires outside\above the base and cover the hole with the the extra piece they give you. See pics 3 and 4. The way I did it is was difficult to fill the hole with marine goop. I hope this makes sense.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Here is how I rigged my old t140, which has the same layout as your t120.

FIG5~1web.jpg

·
Registered
457 Posts
I mounted mine on that round space right behind the front hatch( forward of the rod holder in the pics) and dont have a problem getting to it.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hi all,
I have a Pungo 120 angler addition. I was wondering what type of Graph to install?
Do you guys carry a 12v battery with these units or are these portables that run off of a smaller power source. ANy info will be appreciated

Blue

·
Registered
999 Posts
BLUEYZWAITN, I use a 12volt , 5amp battery. I bought it from kayak fishing stuff.com. You can get them at any hobby shop, batterymart, etc....

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Appreciate the photos guys. I'll be doing this soon as well.

I'm still reading all I can about kayak sounders (and 'ducers) on the various yak boards, but I still haven't picked one yet.
I am looking seriously at the Garmin 160 'portable' that comes with a suction cup transducer...

http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store/product.php?productid=32483&cat=1155&page=1

But... I was wondering, will the suction cup work on the hull of my (not yet delivered) WS Tarpon 120 Angler?
Would I be better off gluing the 'ducer to the inside (or outside) of the hull with marine silicone?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I built i little box and glued mine in right under the small hatch in the middle, then I just tie wrapped the remaining cable to the scuppers.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I have a Tarpon 140 and a 120. I used a RAM ball mount with the short flat plate and put it between the foot wells and the front hatch. I mounted my GPSmap 76 on the middle of the "console" between my legs. I mounted the transducer under the center part just ahead of the cup holder using Lexel.

Mounting things this way still allows me to use my cup / can holder and it doesn't interfere with when I am fighting a fish. I found the thru hull plate fro bringing the wires thru at Boater's World for $4.95. I sealed everything with Lexel.

Hope the picture I posted is clear enough to see. ;)

Oh yeah (edit), I am using the Garmin model 90 on the yaks. This has a dual frequency for shallow and deep water. I use a 10 AA pack battery holder using 2400mAh AA re-chargeable batteries. They for two or three trips without re-charge for day trips and on a full charge I can go out all night and using the FF light without turning it off. The model 90 also reads out battery voltage and water temperature.

Mounting the transducer in the hull will initially give an incorrect reading on the water temperature until the hull temperature stabilizes with the surrounding water temperature.

Good luck.

The FF is not sitting on the hatch as it might appear. It's just that with the position of the RAM mount it appears that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
I mounted my to a piece of wood (painted), then mounted the wood to a removeable fishing rod holder mount. The mount then is flush mounted to the hull on the face that is between your legs (same place everyone else has mounted theirs).

I did this, because there are days, when I will want to use my yak without the finder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts