Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Garmin 76 for Christmas and want to load Bluechart on to it. I have noticed there are all different types and am not sure which one I should use. I just want a one that shows the Chesapeake and tribs. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
919 Posts
BTW: I use US006 and US007. I'm getting ready to re-purchase the latest updates; it's worth it.

Like I said, these work fine on my 76CS. I like to carry my 76CS on the boat and just leave it running and mark points with it. Then, when I get home I can just plug it into my computer and download everything (my "track" and "points") onto the desktop Bluechart (for fun). I have a Garmin 498 that I use for navigating while on the boat, but it didn't come with a cord to download stuff to my computer.

Warning: These maps are great but, in tighter areas where you may have to rely closely on certain markers and buoys for navigation, the markers, buoys, etc are sometimes not in exactly the right place on the screen. Also, newer markers/buoys may not even be on there. I'd say 95% of the time you can rely on the marks on the screen but, if your not careful, these things could cause you to get into an accident on the water. I've almost smacked into a few buoys/markers before. That's why I also use radar.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
My only peeve with Garmin is that I have 6 Garmin GPS units and they wont all share info. Two handhelds 76 , Two mounted units with chips, and two in my trucks with preloaded info. Info on my older chips is close but not dead on

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.