Tidal Fish Forum banner

Which flat shooting rifle?

4K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  Mugsmaster 
#1 ·
I've been contemplating a "varmit" type rifle and Im looking for the most flat shooting to say 3-400 yds. Looking over ballistics, it is looking like a .270 with (correct me if Im wrong) a 90 grain bullet will flat out smoke a 22-250 with a 50gr. bullet, not only in ballistics but also in down range energy (more knock down). I have a couple fields I regularly deer hunt that are a good piece across and are just slam loaded with foxes. Will the 22-250 still have any umph left at the end of the road? Enlighten me on what you think would be your best recommended high powered flat shooting gun.

Capt_Ben

#2 · (Edited)
Most people use a .223 or a 22-250. I have heard that if you reload go with the 22-250 and if you dont go with the .223 because the ammo is cheaper. But I am not sure at the distance you are looking to shoot.

Savage just came out with a preditor rifle that I am goign to get. I am also going to get a 22-250 in case I ever decide to reload.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/photogallery/article/0,20036,1284586_1581161,00.html

I am new to this so I would also like more info before I buy that gun.

#3 ·
22-250 Barrell Wear

Do some research on the 22-250 and barrells wearing heavy. I have heard that feedback about this caliber if you are shooting a high number of rounds.

Here is a really good web page from a guy in CA. Some good stuff on balistics and calibers.

http://www.varmintal.com

Also check out:

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/

Jesse's board has a great group of Varmit Hunters and bench shooters. You can read on these two sites and answer a lot of your questions.

Good luck.

#4 ·
I shot a glass bedded free-floated pre- '64 Model 70 Winchester .270 Featherweight for years as a kid and have taken groundhogs to 600 yards with that rifle plus numerous crows and some deer. It's the only gun you need. I'd pick a bull barrel if you are only shooting varmints, though. The Remington 700s look pretty good, too. I like the 22-250 a lot as well but have never personally owned one. I handloaded the .270 with a 90 grain Sierra hollowpoint with 60 grains of 4831 and could put 5 shots under an inch at 100 yards if I let the barrel cool between shots with that load. Any crow or groundhog within 300 yards was a gimme if I had a good rest. I also had a Savage model 110 in .222 that was even more accurate. It was good to about 225 to 250 yards consistently but I made some unbelievably long shots with that gun too. If you are only going to own one rifle you can't go wrong with a .270. I handloaded it down to about 1600 fps with 4895 behind the 90 grain Sierra and some poly fill, as I recall and it was very accurate with that load as well. So, anything from squirrels on up the .270 is good to go. I don't think Speer make the 170 grain round nose any more, but I could never get the accuaracy out of that bullet i could get out of the 90, 100, 130, or 150 grain bullets. I never tried the 165 that was available at one time and may still be. I just love an accurate rifle.
Mark

#7 ·
Thanks for all of the replys. I am currently deer hunting with a remington 700 30-06. It is quite nasty out to close to 300yds as this is the farthest I have shot it. I really enjoy the load I am shooting with it and am not looking to adjust the scope everytime I want to either go fox hunting or deer hunting, that is the main reason Im looking for something else. Plus my .06 drops 4" at 200 yds and I know for certain that a .270 wont drop much if any. What is a good guess that a 22-250 will drop in ballistics vs. a .270 at 300yds?

Capt_Ben

#8 ·
.270 seems a little big for Varmits

ChuckHawks website is another decent one to check. He has data on the major varmit calibers as well as the .270. I think the .270 will do way to much damage on the fur for fox size game. Most yote hunters like 22-250, .243 Win, .257 Roberts, .257 Weatherby, .257 Ackley Improved, and .223. I think for varmits you are going to want the higher velocities.

My 2cents.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/varmint_rifles.htm

#9 ·
Any of the the 22's mentioned are inadequate for deer at the ranges you want to shoot. Not that they won't shoot that far, but due to the inavailability of properly constructed bullets. I could be wrong, but I believe that they are also illegal in MD.
Then there's twist rate, a 270 (great round) will probably overspin a 90 grain bullet. This is not conducive to accurate shooting at 3-400 yards unless your planning on having the rifle rebarreled with a slower twist. Although it dosen't make sense when shooting long ranges you actually want a heavier bullet with a higher ballistic coefficient. They buck the wind better and have greater terminal energy. Boatailed VLDs were made for this.
What you want is what we always called a bean field gun. I'd probably go for a 7MM WSM shooting bullets around 160 grains as hard as I could push them accurately. I'd probably shoot a Nosler partition.This round has become very popular on the 1,000 yard benchrest circuit.
As for a mass produced rifle I'd pick a Remington 700 Sendero, it think it's made in 7MM WSM. Take it to a good gunsmith and have the barrel free floated, the action bedded and the trigger tweaked. Money very well spent.
As for optics I'd choose a higherline variable. Something along the lines of a 14 power with a 30MM tube and al least a 40MM adjustable objective lens. I like Leupold, but to each his own. Your also going to need a front rest of some sort, Harris or the like.
Access to a 300-400 yard range would be helpful for dialing in. (bmail me when you get er built and we can use my range)
If you really want accuracy a those ranges you can always drop $4,000 and have one built.
This round will perform admirably at long range, but be prepared for massive meat damage at shorter ranges, go for a lung shot and you'll drop them where thay stand and only ruin worthless rib meat.
Ballistics tables are fun to look at, but only tell part of the story. You've got to have a rifle capable of gettting the bullet to where your aiming.
My own bean field gun is a 300 Wby. custom built by a smith in Loisianna. It's a gas to drop em out at 400 yds.

#11 ·
.243! I have a Remington .243 VLS 26 inch heavy barrel thats good for 1/2 moa. With the .243 you can shoot 55 grain bullets that push 4100 fps. or go to 90 grainers that will take deer out to 200 yrds. with no problem. I killed a nice 9 with it two seasons ago. It also has much less recol than the .270 and burns much less powder. Second choice is a 25-06 with a little more recoil than the .243 but with somewhat better ballistics. IF you whant I'll let you shoot both when the weather clears. I also have a 22-50 Tikka Master sporter that I love but pushing it past 300 yrds in the wind requires alot of skill to hit varmints.

#12 ·
Twud last year I told my brother to order me a 7mm WSM but he messed up and ordered me a 7mm-08. What do you think of that gun? I did shoot a 40lb. button buck at about 250 yards with it.

I also ordered a tikka t3 .270 WSM with a Leopold scope I think it was 4x12 50mm what do you think of that gun.

I know much more about shotguns then I do rifles. I only have 1 more shotgun to order then I am done and starting with my rifles and handguns.

#13 ·
Seems like you've already got something to shoot deer out to 400yds with. A 270 is going to do nothing but duplicate that. If paper, foxes, coyotes and an occasional bobcat are all your going to be shooting this gun for then the .223 would be fine out to 300 yds. 22-250 350-400yds. Dont forget the new .20 cal rounds.

#14 ·
7mm08 is my favorite deer round but it's not a long distance deer gun. IMHO noone should intentionally try to shoot deer past 300 yrds. Almost noone is good enough to do it unless they have a bench. Think you are good enough? Come to the range with me and try to hit a pie plate offhand at 200. Plus it's just not very sporting In this area you should be able to get much closer to your bucks before you take a shot. Now if you just gotta have one then you need one of those big bore, big podwer, bigger recoil shoulder killers. I would go atleast 300 Ultra Mag or on of those wildcat 7mm/30 cals. Personally if I can;t have fun shooting it at the range it's worthless to me.

#15 · (Edited)
25 Calibers

My choices are any of the 25 calibers 25-06, 257 Roberts, 257 Ackley Improved, 257 Wby. I have a Browning BAR Safari II in 25-06 with Nikon 3X9-40 and a Weatherby Vanguard 25-06 with a Ziess 3X9-40. I have no problem at 11yds to 380yds with deer. They're good for busting some chucks. Both seem to like Hornady 115gr. SP Interlock heads. When it thunders down they drop like a rock even the one at 380 raking his antlers in the holly tree. Mac truck couldn't have done it better! Even shot one standing still at 420yds. with a Weatherby 300 Win Mag. Guess I cheated, rested on a tree limb to make the shot. I'm not no Quigley Down Under or from Ahoskie NC. But have hunted down there in Ahoskie. I've come to the conclusion that when a boy is born in NC. they're not breast fed. They are given a rifle bullet as a pacifier either in a 270, 7mm Mag., or 30-06. I've seen em shoot deer on the run "stretched out" at 250 to 350yds. without a rest. You hear me!!! I have even been asked by them, why I didn't take the shot at that buck when it came by? Can't do it! But I do enjoy watching someone who can and do it proficiently. They might miss one out of 8 deer that running. I even saw an old man 65+ shoot one at 600yds.+ standing still with a 270. I went and got for him he uses a cane to walk. I did learn something down there. When a deer bust out of the tall woods or short pines on a run, give him a minute, he'll stop. My next gun will be a Weatherby Mark V in a 257 Wby. Mag. You Know apples or oranges, blondes or brunettes, whats the difference? It's what you really want and like, they all get the job done!

#16 ·
Twud, you are right about the difficulty in a 600 yard shot with the .270 or ANY rifle for that matter. My 600 yard (plus) groundhog with the .270 Featherweight was off a solid rest and in a wind in Carroll county a few years back. I had a 6x Weaver on it. I remember it not because it was commonplace, but because it was unusual. It was not the first shot that hit him, but since he couldn't figure out where it was coming from at that range I squeezed them off until he dropped. Took about six shots before I connected. While I could see the impact points of shots shots kicking up dirt very close around him, it was not 3-inch group you may have experienced with bench rest competitions on a good day. I had to hold somewhere approximately 7' to 10' over his head at that range. It was not a measured 600 yards, either. It was the third hilltop away in that rolling Carroll County countryside. I estimated the range from the holdover and ballistics tables. My gun was sighted in at 1.5" high at 100 yards. I thought it was a damn good shot, especially for a Featherweight even given multiple shots. I did let the gun cool a bit between shots, but the heat buildup alone will open up your groups, especially at that range. The benchrest competions sound interesting. I love that long-range stuff but have never shot benchrest competitions. Sounds fun.
Mark

#18 ·
Have any of you actually read a ballistics chart? 600 yrd shots at running deer? LOL Whats the wind drift at 600 yrds? The difference between hitting and missing is guessing the wind correct. I love rifle shooting BS. It's the funniest stuff on the web. I love the part about hitting running deer at 300 yrds with a 7 out of 8 connect rate. Atleast a few of you live in the same world I do.

#19 · (Edited)
Russ Read it again, but sloooower. If not get a friend to!

1) Yes, I have a Nosler Reloading Manual No. 2, Lyman 45th Edition, Hornady Handbook 3rd Edition, and a Sierra Reloading Manual.
2) Can't answer not a complete question.
3) Sure! At what wind speed? What brand and type of bullet & what wieght? What brand of powder & amount? At what distance was the gun zero'd?

Most important thing to remember is, what's hunt'in if'in ya can't stretch the truth or lie a little! Wouldn't be hunt'in or fish'in without a good story now and then, would it!

#20 ·
Sorry but this kind of stuff leads to alot of wounded deer. I live at the range in the spring and summer so I tend to "Keep IT Real". I see way to many guys with big objective 1k$ scopes on bi ultra mags who shoot 20 rounds before they realize they are'nt even on paper at 200 yrds. This is after I hear stories about them missing a deer 400 yrds when they knew they should have hit it. Bs is Bs but If I give advice I like to be able to back it up.

#22 ·
....I enjoy shooting deer at long ranges....out to 400 yds. Long range shooting is one of the reasons I lease as many fields as I do. To me, it is more satisfing to harvest a deer at that range than by any other means. Remember, more deer are wounded and lost at ranges far less than that, under 100yds, because people get beaver fever, or take unethical/unclear shots. I do not think that buying a long range caliber makes you a long range shooter, you have to and MUST practice, because I believe you owe it to the game.....but when you feel your up to it, you shouldn't be looked down upon. 400yds with a 3006, 270, or a 7mag is certainly doable and quite capable of harvesting deer effectively.

#25 ·
600 yds

I defy anyone on this board to hit a deer or a hog at 600 yards with a factory rifle. They just aren't capable of it. We can shoot off a bench and you can use my BR rest set up. Takes a good custom gun and some great loads to pull off 600 yds.
Do you know what 600 yds looks like? Are you using a range finder?
The cross hairs in your reticle will cover a 6" bull at 600.

#26 ·
Alright here it is.

THE ULTIMATE LONG RANGE GUN!!!! For those of you who watch it, it was just shown on Weapons of the Future shown on the Dsicovery Channel.

The New Barrett .416, meant to "take the place" (but not really although it is a little more accurate) thatn the .50 BMG made by the same company.

http://thegunsource.com/store/item.aspx?PID=56184

"Accurate" out to 2500 yards, this means able to impose a killing shot on a human sized target.

It's basically a .50 necked down.

I know it's beyond the real subject of this thread, but I couldn't resist.

Chris

PS. 600 yards, factory gun? depends on what you're shooting;)

#27 ·
First off anyone who shoots at a deer running flat out is not a sportsman in my book. Secondly if you hit a deer running flat out it's luck. Third if you happen to kill that deer then play the lottery. Ok now back to calibers. I personally own a 25-06 and I agree it's great. I also own .243's ,22-250, 7mm08, .308, 30-06, 300 winmag, adn a 338/06 custom. All have thier place. At 400 yrds the 25-06 is running out of gas for killing deer. Just look at ballistics tables. it's pointless areguing things that are just simple physics. Actually the story about hitting the chuck at 600 was believable. I still agree with Twud about few people even know what 600 yrds looks like. Anyone who whants to shoot any of my guns to try is welcome to come to meet me at the range and try them out. just shoot me a Bmail and we'll meet at Hap Baker.

#28 ·
I agree with the long range stuff being a little hard to swallow. At 300 yds my crosshairs pretty much cover up the bullseye - not saying I wouldn't take the shot as long as I had a solid rest and a fairly stationary target. But, if you can't hit a deer running flat out at 100 yds, offhand where you've got a clear shot, you should go practice somemore.

#29 ·
Hit and know you are hitting vitals are way different things to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never fired a shot while hunting that did'nt kill a deer and I've got some nice bucks on my wall. I never even fired a second shot in my life. For hunting to be a sport to me you have to give the deer a chance. Getting close means you have to beat his best two assets, his ears and nose. Shooting a running deer means to me that he already won. It does'nt take any skill to get near a running deer or one thats 400 yrds away.

#30 ·
I shot one of those Barett .50 cals and the muzzle blast blew up the shooting box. The recoil was'nt as severe as the muzzle blast. They are plety accurate though if you can hold back the flinch. The triggers however suck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.