Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly handy and have serviced some of my own reels down through the years. Right now I have two Penn 4500 SS torn down, cleaned of the old grease and ready for a couple of new parts, greasing and reassembly.

When I fish on a cold Dec day, I've noticed that the Penn reels get a bit stiff...probably the grease stiffening up as the temp drops. Well, I want to reassemble them with synthetic grease that won't change viscosity down to about 20 deg F (lowest temp I have the fortitute to fish in).

Was looking at "Shooter's Choice" which specifically states that it is a "synthetic, high-tech, all-weather" grease. Would that work? Or is there something better?

I also have a tube of Quantum grease (red), but it doesn't indicate whether or not it is synthetic.

Recommendations?

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I use a product called Super Lube multi-purpose synthetic grease with Syncolon® (PTFE). It's not temperate sensitive and will not harden up and get sticky over time. It's great stuff at fair price. I first purchased it on-line but have since found that my local Ace Hardware carries it.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother and esteemed fellow Parker owner:
I have 2 Quantums and they recommend the Quantum Hot Sauce oil and grease. Seems to be decent stuff.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Have used the Quantum Hot Sauce without any problems. If it has any drawbacks, it is impossible to get the red stain it leaves out of clothing. As a result, I have switched to using Corrosion-X. It remais viscous at low temperatures, has superior corrosion resistance and does not stain. FWIW;)

Tight lines,

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Nick is right!! Reel-x and Corrosion-X are made by the same company and for all practical purposes the same.

I do not like using any grease in my reels. The grease lacks the viscosity to flow back over the surfaces of the gears and other moving parts once it is displaced. All of the oils mentioned will reflow back on to the surfaces from which it was displaced.

At one time , I worked as a Materials Engineer. We did laboratory studies on the effect of viscosity vs wear. These studies resulted in decreased wear and improved performance on equipment and machinery by increasing the viscosity and lubricity of the lubricants.

Another example of this is that trailers are available with oil bath hubs.

I will take a brand new reel and ultrasonically clean it and then lube it with Reel-X or Corrosion-X. It makes a noticable improvement. FWIW

Tight lines,

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nick is right!! Reel-x and Corrosion-X are made by the same company and for all practical purposes the same.

I do not like using any grease in my reels. The grease lacks the viscosity to flow back over the surfaces of the gears and other moving parts once it is displaced. All of the oils mentioned will reflow back on to the surfaces from which it was displaced.

At one time , I worked as a Materials Engineer. We did laboratory studies on the effect of viscosity vs wear. These studies resulted in decreased wear and improved performance on equipment and machinery by increasing the viscosity and lubricity of the lubricants.

Another example of this is that trailers are available with oil bath hubs.

I will take a brand new reel and ultrasonically clean it and then lube it with Reel-X or Corrosion-X. It makes a noticable improvement. FWIW

Tight lines,
Well...I don't have an "ultrasonic cleaner" and I'm left with paint thinner or turpentine to clean the old lube out of the reels.

Since I have 8 of these reels, and I'm cleaning, servicing, and lubing all of them this winter, I'll use the Quantum grease on one, the Quantum "Hot Sauce" oil on another, and Shooter's Choice synthetic on another. I'll pick a really cold night and put all three on the deck, and the next morning go out and see which one(s) are still slicker than snot. I'll report back here. :) :) :) If none of those satsify me, I'll go buy some Super Lube and Corrosion-X and test them also.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
My wife has an ultra sonic cleaner for her jewelry but it's way too small for any reels to fit into. I just use brake fluid to clean the gunk out of reels or sometimes just let them soak in WD 40 all night. I do have a small air compressor that I use to blow the reel clean and dry. Actually the first time I saw Reel-X was at a model railroad flea market. It's what I've been using to lubricate my locomotives.:D

I don't know if it's still made but years ago the only thing I used on my reels was STP. Seemed to work fine.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Nick: STP is too thick and definitely lacks the viscosity and fluidity, particularly at cold temperatures.

Porkchunker: The real test is when you bring in a hog on a light reel that would ordinarily bind or sieze up.:D
Will be watching for your report.

Tight lines,

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I hope the crazy surf casting suped up 6500 loving crowd with the custom blended lubes doesn't show up here. I think they huff the stuff. I think the trick is to keep the reels clean and lubed (but not overlubed) which varies depending on how, where, and how much you fish. I think that's more important than the actual lube itself. That being said, I'm fanatical with the lube on my LMB baitcasters, because I'm trying to make long, and accurate casts while throwing 1/8, and 1/4 oz lures. On the inshore saltwater stuff, I just fish until it feels or sounds off, and then service, Usually once or twice a season. If it fels weird after that, in the drink it goes. Capt Bartlett isn't around I hope.:D

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...Porkchunker: The real test is when you bring in a hog on a light reel that would ordinarily bind or sieze up.:D
Will be watching for your report.

Tight lines,
I was actually quite impressed with the way the Penn 4500 was built...for having some kind of high-tech plastic body. They are not expensive, but seem to hold up quite well to pulling in the better grade of fish and winching against the jig heads I seem to hook on a snag way too often. If I can solve my low-temp viscosity problem, I'll be happy. If the gears get sloppy after a few years, they are not so expensive that I'll feel guilty about tossing them.

Now my new Abu C4s, are a different matter.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I hope the crazy surf casting suped up 6500 loving crowd with the custom blended lubes doesn't show up here. I think they huff the stuff.
Gee, thanks Lou. :D

What Lou said is true. Most don't keep their reels in good enough condtion for it to matter one way or another what oil they use. Even though I carry around 3 different oil formulas and a few sets of bearings in my bag, I use plain old 3 and 1 oil in the blue can for most of my every day reels. The stuff is inexpensive and it works well.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
I have had good luck using Penn products. The Penn grease is synthetic. It is designed to be used on the main gear, crank gear, pinion gear and bushings. I use the oil on the other internal parts.

I use Super Lube on the exterior of my reels and I also wipe my rods down with it after every use paying particular attention to the guides.

http://www.cabelas.com/spodw-1/0036540.shtml

Dennis:)

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I know a few of those distance tournament casters and they are a different breed all together. Each has his own super secret lub formula:rolleyes::rolleyes: for those tricked out super maged reels.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts