Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which guides can handle winding on offshore swivels and small spro's? Which will not?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Guides to use with Spro or heavy wind ons : Afcto wind on or Big foot , Winthrop .. the Wind on Guides would be my choice unless you have unlimited funds for the Winthrop ..
dont use ring guides as the swivel can knock the ring out of the frame or chip the ring. Aftco HD roller guides do NOT accomodate swivels or the heavier wind on leaders

Mark
Canyon Runner Sportfishing

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wind on guides

The aftco wind on guides do the job.But are large and have a big footprint . They are a little smaller than bigfoot guides but have a much larger gap or opening for your swivel.You probably want to use these on a 50 class blank or larger and make sure to use a big foot tip.You can use fuji guides for smaller blanks but as mentioned watch out for the crimp scarring or knicking the guide insert. You can buy crimp protectors or waxed thread/rigging floss over the crimp wich is time consuming . What I tried last season was liquid electrical tape over the crimp and it held up well. I really didn't have trouble with the swivel itself except breaking some spro swivels in half, then I switched over to a traditional ringed swivel and had no more trouble. Good luck, Jerry.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My cousin, who owns a charter out of OI solely uses the standard barrel type, just 200-250 pounds, with old rods with simple metal guides/tips-no inset to come loose or chip. He just checks them for any potential scratches. He's been doin it since the sixties, and just sticks with 'what aint broke'.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Russ, I Am A Offshore Rod Builder And Have Been For The Last 25 Years. Stuart Rollers Are The Best Bet As The Opening Is Much Larger Than The Aftco Rollers. I Have Built Well Over 1000 Rods And Every One That Is Utilizing Rollers For Wind On Swivels has Stuart rollers. If Your Up Near Kent Island Check Out Shore Tackle And Custom Rods. We Are In The Process Of Building Numerous 30, 50, And 80's For Customers.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Aftco & Winthrop guides mentioned will accomodate. If you are looking for a guide with a smaller footprint (frame size about that of the regular Aftco heavy duty rollers) but with the same large clearance as the Aftco Wind-On & Big Foot guides, look toward All American Roller Guides. Their guides have small frames but actually have more clearance than the big Aftcos.

Rings are always an option, but you do run the risk of cracking one of those fragile ceramic rings. That's one big reason to NOT use swivels for wind-ons. You can make a wind-on w/o using swivels.

Jay

·
Registered
586 Posts
I really didn't have trouble with the swivel itself except breaking some spro swivels in half, then I switched over to a traditional ringed swivel and had no more trouble. Good luck, Jerry.
I agree, I no longer use spro either.

Rings are always an option, but you do run the risk of cracking one of those fragile ceramic rings. That's one big reason to NOT use swivels for wind-ons. You can make a wind-on w/o using swivels.
You can tie knots just as strong. Main line to leader is not hard. Making double line is not that hard either.

They say the best knot you can tie is the one you have the most confidence in being able to tie right.:thumbup:

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/fishing_knots/knots_spider.html

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/fishing_knots/knots_fishbend.html

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/fishing_knots/knots_palomar.html

·
Registered
419 Posts
Guides

Russ, What's up? Come down to NC and fish soon!! do you fish stand-up or chair?? Stand-up: rollers (easier on the fisherman and leader man, tho more maintenance for the owner), Chair: ring guides OK (doesn't impact fisherman, only slightly on the leader man, but MUCH less maintenance)... Who? Aftco stuff on the rollers, lots of choices on the ring guides...

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. So what's the best way to go wind-on for my existing turbo style guide stand-up rods?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Im thinking of forgoing swivels alltogether, except for spoons. Im glad someone mentioned not even using one. Unless you run a fowl naked that spins, its pretty hard to get a bait that will twist line. Hard to find a fish that will put that many twists in in (fowl hooked-or a shark)-and then its not a terrible ordeal to get the twists out (back on land).

Anyone just go without?

I like the idea, since I do a lot of loop-to-loop connections for fly fishing, and can do them at 100% strength. Much easier to switch out-or pull through guides, and less to go wrong. Ive asked this before to a dull audience, but fly fishermen have been doing this for a century.

I would like to just tie 20 foot of 130-150 pound flouro leader to all my choice baits, with a few nail knots, and flexible epoxy. I think it would be deadly and simple. no hardware to spook fish, fail, or chip guides.

Feedback appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use a uni-uni knot all the time but is it really strong enough for big tuna? Also I use 400# mono for my shark leaders.
Is there anyway to make a wind one usgin line this heavy tied to 50#?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Many folks these days still use regular leaders with their 'wind-ons'. They say wind-on instead of 'top shot'. They connect a top shot to their braid or underlying mono with a swivel. Why I don't know...except that it is easy. They still end up using short leaders at the end of the top shot.

A good basic knot for tying your topshot to briad is the reverse albright (worm knot). This makes a slick connection that flows through guides well.

Jay

·
Registered
299 Posts
I wouldnt trust the uni-uni to give much more than 85-90% knot strength (sometimes as low as 70)
a double nail knot, tied like a blood knot canl give 95-100%, if tied with a lot of wraps.
A loop of hollow braid, spliced into itself, like the end of a wind-on, and fitted onto the mono like a chinese handcuff
will give 100% or more. Flexible epoxy seals the deal. Check out some sites on making the loops. I think for sharks Id stick with crimps/loop protectors/heavy swivels.

Advantage of having 30 feet of 130-400 pound wind on leader, is once it wraps around the spool twice, and the fish is within 17 feet of the boat, he's all your's. You can tighten up the drag a little to winch it to gaffing range, alone, or raise it hand-over-hand with someone who cant be trusted with walking the fish back, or gaffing. Advantage of a long top shot of mono is the braid is cut too easily by abrasion, tiny nicks are easily parted. The mono can hold up and be switched out. Less expensive, and more trust able.

Im thinking of using them when out with the father-in-law, or alone. I guess its all about what works for each person. Im relatively new to bluewater fishing, but am familiar with nail knots/spicing braid into looped connections Etc, and am comfortable checking them regularly and redoing them often. I fish from small boats, and Id like more control boatside when leadering with only one other person in the boat.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This is interesting. I have found that when I step onto a boat in a charter fleet like OI/Hatteras/Morehead/OC I see the same thing boat after boat. Simple 80 to 130 lbs small spro's simply tied from the mainline with the leader crimped on. No loop protectors, nothing fancy. Simple long rods with ring guides. These guys are fishing 150 to 200 days a year and constantly catch limits of tuna along with everything else with this set-up. Am I missing something here? These guys are pro's doing it for a living. This is how I do my setup and have yet to have a failure with a small ring spro, but constantly here talking about having problems with cut rings, swivels breaking etc..etc... I think the problem is lack of maintenace, drag settings and knowing the breaking strength of your lines and leader. Just my .02. I like to keep it simple.

K

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
You are right about the charter fleet setups. Easy and simple. I have used the same setup for years and have yet to have some of the issues that some have had, but I also retie knots and recrimp frequently.

The only time I use chaffing gear and loop protectors is when Blue Marlin, Swordfish, BFT and Big Eye (If I am targeting them).

Just change your crimps, line, swivels and leader frequently. Here is a tip I learned years ago. I store my swivels and spro in a container with separate sections. I take and make a quick spray of WD40 in each and then take my finger mix it around in each compartment. If you see you swivel has started oxidizing, replace it or try the WD40 spray down.

Also change your main line ever year or so. I have fished with a couple of boats where we have had several fish on and the main line breaks. You ask them when the last time they had it respooled and they say 2 or 3 years ago. Yikes!!!!! You never know when that trophy fish will bite and how PO'd you will be when it gets away because of a lack of preparation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts