Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am bow hunting tonight in a heavily buck populated area. Most are small, so I was thinking of using a young buck, buck bomb scent. Doing some rattling, grunting, etc. Hopefully the young buck scent will bring something in a little bigger.

Once the does go into heat, I was going to switch to the estrous scent.

What do you guys think??

·
Registered
546 Posts
STUMP

IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN HIT OR MISS FOR ME. I HAVE HAD SEASONS WHERE BUCKS WALK RIGHT BY IT AND WHERE I HAVE HAD THREE WALK RIGHT INTO IT. I WOULD STICK WITH ESTROS UNLESS YOU WANT TO EXPERIMENT, SEEMS A FEW GUYS HAVE ALREADY HAD SUCCESS WITH IT ALREADY. I TRY TO KEEP SCENTS AND CALLING SIMPLE IF NOT USED AT ALL. FOCUS ON CLUSTERS OF SCRAPES AND TRAILS LEADING TO AND FROM DOE BEDDING AREAS. LET US KNOW WHAT YOU COME UP WITH.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
From my experiences with heavily buck populated areas using other buck urine does not effect the the bigger bucks. I guess because they are real use to each other anyhow as they travel together most of the year. And when its show time (rut) big boys are not looking for other bucks but to run them off if in sight (decoy). I would stick with estrus.

Just an opinion however you never know how any buck will act.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Stumpknocker,
The deer down here in central Va. have just started making scrapes and checking back from time to time. Usually I will use #1 doe pee to start with. The young buck bomb might do the trick but, dominate buck is what I would use. Get to the area early and drag 1 rag w/ buck and 1 w/ doe estrous. If you are hunting scrapes, make a mock scrape about 10yrds from the freshest scrape in your area. Pour a little of each scent in your scrape and his just to piss him off. Hang both drag rags under your stand and get ready. It may take a day or two but he will be looking for the new buck, He may come to investigate when you walk in if he hears you. A few soft grunts 30 min before last light may bring him in as well.

I have killed a few like this. Also the estrous can mess you up if he is already tending a doe. She will smell it and avoid the area to keep him from getting side tracked. The area's that I hunt don't have an abundance of deer, so I think they can tell when there's an outsider.

I'm going to do the mock scrape deal this afternoon near my son's stand. He's after his first deer after we sight in his new smokepole

Good Luck,

BILL

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I've had good sucess with Zeke's 200 proof. Bottled by a guy on ES. I used it last year once and I liked the way the deer responded, and I used it on Tuesday evening[excited]

·
Registered
134 Posts
Find a local shop that carries James Valley and get some - oh, and, keep it refrigerated. You should be pleasantly surprised in the coming days once they crank up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'd go with nothing before something. Whenever I put out scent, I've seen various reactions - from curiosity to terror! Check out what is walking in the area if you haven't already. After a couple of sittings, give the double drag a try, a couple grunts wouldn't hurt, but go easy on them. Then go full blown scents, grunts & rattle.

The idea here is that you don't always know if and when the big boy is coming out. You may not need anything for him to show. A lot of times when you hang scents out, you won't see a thing because the does avoid them and at this time of year, you want the "real deal" in the area.

By the way, I don't recommend hanging scent bombs at night because you have to go retrieve them in the dark and may come face to face with your big buck. He won't appreciate your presence and will learn quickly that he is being deceived/hunted. I did this the other night and spooked two deer (of unknown sex/size) that were only 30 yards from my stand. Personally, I am going back to scentless for a couple of days.

I am still skeptical (but hopeful) of scents and rattling/grunting. They have to be used with the right wind, at the right time and when grunting/rattling - performed correctly. If they are not, they can screw things up. Additionally, they require you to create movement and tromp around in the shooting lane or field. Be sure to wear rubber boots and descent yourself when using.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts