Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 55 years of fishing with mono / co-poly (for whatever species) I've come to the realization that when jigging for stripers with said line, I suck. Sooo...I'm switching lines on my 6.5' MH, fast action, carbonlite rod / penn battle 4000 reel. The 2 lines I'm looking at are Berkley Nanofil and Bass Pro's XPS 8. They're both the same price, $20 for 150 yds. Does anyone have experience with either line and what would you guys recommend. I'm thinking of using 12# mono backing as I don't want to spend $40 for a 300 yd spool. Your input is appreciated.

·
Registered
14,401 Posts
After 55 years of fishing with mono / co-poly (for whatever species) I've come to the realization that when jigging for stripers with said line, I suck. Sooo...I'm switching lines on my 6.5' MH, fast action, carbonlite rod / penn battle 4000 reel. The 2 lines I'm looking at are Berkley Nanofil and Bass Pro's XPS 8. They're both the same price, $20 for 150 yds. Does anyone have experience with either line and what would you guys recommend. I'm thinking of using 12# mono backing as I don't want to spend $40 for a 300 yd spool. Your input is appreciated.
I use power Pro and been happy with it....... Gary

·
Registered
636 Posts
Use power pro as well but fill the spool with it. Every couple years I take it off and re spool so newer line is on top. You can do it with backing but I always buy bulk spools so all reels can be re spooled when the time comes, and buying in bulk actually saves you money if doing multiple reels. I hated to change at first but now that I've done it there is no looking back!

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
You will have to change Your Hook setting habits with it! No Roland Martin Hook sets...If Ya' have nice sharp Hooks,all it takes it a little snap of the wrist to set it.Yank on it like Mono and You will be missing Fish or Ripping their Lips off!

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
FYI: I think only 3-4 companies produce the super lines - so many are the same , just different packaging.

I like Power Pro and Suffix - both hold up well for me.

As Lone ranger alluded to - there is a slight learning curve. I broke a few rods when first using braid - a tight drag , big fish and light rod can be tough on wallet.

I top shot my reels with braid. I use mono backing and then a 100 yd spool on the lighter reels. Rare I get out more then 100 feet of line - rare any Rock takes much from me - so still have plenty.

I like to double the braid when tying knots - seems to hold better.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The NanoFil is incredible. I use it on my little rods for little fish. The 6 lb will straighten out a wire jig every time. I'm not a knot tieing big dog, the only knot that holds for me is the Palomar.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I use Nanofil on my spinning rods because it casts a lot farther but it is not recommended for conventional reels. For them I use PowerPro but lots of people like Suffix. With the Nanofil you do have to tie good knots. I use a double Palomar.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I'm kind of a line nerd. Power pro 10 lb test with 20 lb seaguar blue label flouro leader is hands down the best combination I have found. Plain powerpro is fairly abrasion resistant and very strong for its diameter. Power pro super slick 8 is ok right out the box, but it ends up fraying in a year or so, especially of hard use. It also is not nearly as abrasion resistant. I don't buy it anymore. Suffix 832 is very similiar to super slick 8, maybe a little more round. It seems to cast further than powerpro. I managed to wind knot it several times despite it's claims of no wind knots. Kast king from amazon is super cheap. It seems to be a little thicker than power pro, and considerably softer. I'm lazy and will not retie leader/lures on even if i can see a fray in the mainline. Hell, I had the same wind knot in my topwater rig with powerpro for a month straight. You can't do that with kast king. Once you see a fray in it you have to cut it, otherwise you will lose it on the next fish. I never purchased nanofil, but fished with a buddy who spooled his rod right before we went out. It seemed to have memory, which most braid does not. I fished 10 lb powerpro, 15 lb powerpro, and 20 lb powerpro all on the same model rod one after another this summer. I can't feel a difference between 15 and 20, but man does 10 lb give you an advantage. It is just that much more sensitive.
I have about 350 yards of kast king 12 lb test at my house. You're more than welcome to spool a rod with it and give it a shot if you want. I also have 1600 yards of 8lb berkley big game for backer if you want to use that. I doubt I'll ever use it all.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys...lot's of good info. Went to BP today with every intention of buying some braid and fluoro but ended up going home with 2 lures, 4 boxes of
22 sub sonics and more confused about braid than when I walked in the door. I love my co-poly line for cast & retrieve and my hook up ratio is excellent except when jigging....like maybe 20%. My buddies all use braid and they all out fish me big time, when jigging, even when using the exact same lures...cast and retrieve is a different story. Just for the record, my bay reels are 1000 to 3000 series spooled with 8-12 lb co-poly. The aforementioned is my "big rig" which I use during the increasingly rare, big fish, spring run. Since this is my fastest rod I thought it would be well suited for jigging. Knot strength and ease of tying them would be a main concern. Thanks again for all the great input....keep it comin'. I gotta get spooled up tomorrow as I will be hooking up with one of the upper, upper bay gurus for some LTJ on Saturday. I need to show him that an old dog can learn new tricks :D

Thanks for the offer NRGarrott but I gotta get this done tomorrow :thumbup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use powerpro an every reel i own (almost) I use 10lb, 15lb and 20lb all in different colors cause they are hard to tell apart. I use fireline on topwater setups cause it floats and a couple perch outfits i still use 4 or 6lb mono because i change darts/jigs alot and bobbers don't slip up the line when you twitch it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Power Pro for me too. I mostly use 15 lb. The PP Slick is nice, but I agree that it frays more easily. I will probably switch back to regular PP when I replace the line in my reels. I use braid almost exclusively now and I always use a leader, length and strength depends on water clarity and conditions.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I like Fireline best on my spinning reels - 10 lb. on lighter reels (2500 size or smaller) and 14 lb. on heavier outfits (3000 size or bigger). I use 15lb. mono backing for a half spool or so, then put on the braid, then use P-Line Flouroclear for leader in 20-30lb. and Stren knots for connections.
I tried several other braids and settled on Fireline. PowerPro is pretty good, and is my preferred line on my trolling rigs. Powerpro lasts longest, but gets more wind knots for me than Fireline. My experience with Sufix has been horrible.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Personally, I do much better LTJing with a flipping reel than I do with a spinning reel. I can control the line and maintain contact with the lure far better.

As NRG mentioned, Nanofil does have a good bit of memory and does belly a little more on the cast, but I don't find it a problem except when finessing very small lures. With lures 1/8 oz. and heavier, I have no problems. I will put up with those faults for the casting distance advantage.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I use #8 and #10 PP with #8 leader for perch and crappie. and #20 leader on other fish. Did you know if you close the bail by hand, not with the handle, you will not get many so called wind knots. A lot of people get wind knots when there is no wind at all. Also if you close the bail just before the lure hits the water is good. Most of us know this, but a few might not.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Kast King braid from 20 to 65 and Momoi's Diamond braid up to and over 100 lb.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again everyone for the great input. I'll be using this outfit specifically for striper jigging and am not too concerned with casting distance. I'll still use my smaller outfits spooled with co-poly for that. I'm now off to BP to make the big switch and will report back with Saturdays results. Tight lines.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts