Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope everyone is enjoying the Holiday season!

this winter/spring i will be replacing my current bow mount trolling motor on my 17' Proline CC.
my Motor Guide RF55 has given us 14 seasons on near flawless operation but the wireless footpedal is starting to fail (the motor itself is still running great)....a replacement pedal can approach $400 to replace....if you can find one with the correct radio frequency

i am looking at three replacement options and was looking for input on them.....
good or bad.

i will be choosing one of the 12 volt models as i do not have room for an additional battery

there are 2 Minn Kota's......the Riptide RT-55 available in the ST and SP versions
and one Motor Guide.....the Great White W55 SW

all three motors are within the same approximate price range $830 - $920
all three also have composite shafts, saltwater protection, removable mounts and wireless controls.

my Motor Guide has treated me well but the Minn Kota has some great features including the auto pilot

thanks for the replies!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Mark

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Mark:

Take a look at the 12V M-K I just removed from the old BK (donating it for tax credit). Its in great shape (I think its 2006). I replaced most of the hardware with stainless. Includes remote and cabled foot pedal and hook up for universal SONAR!

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Minn Kota without question.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Hey Mark, Hope you had a great Christmas and I hope everyting goes OK with your motor.

I have the Minn Kota Riptide ST Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with CoPilot and Autopilot. I really like that I can control the motor from my console. I hve not really used the Autopilot yet but I hope to tomorow when Phill the Ole Bussard and I get out. The 80lb thrust is great but it's 24 volt system. Hope you can find what you want but go with Minn Kota they seem to be the best.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
DO NOT Buy a Minn Kota RipTide Co-Pilot

ABSOLUTE JUNK -PURE TRASH-EVEN WORSE CUSTOMER SERVICE

JUNK-JUNK-JUNK

I have had nothing but issues with this $1000 piece of ****. I have had in the shop several times under warranty, has been sent back to Minn Kota (talk about expensive) and I still have issues. Burns out circuit boards, fails to turn left, then right, turns itself on when hitting waves. This thing has witches, gremlins and is an utter disappointment. A search on Google revealed that there are others who share the same sentiment as me.

I have owned Minn Kota's for years that were flawless, same with MotorGuide, most were freshwater units that were much cheaper that were indestructable. I spend $1000 on a "top of the line" Riptide and have never been so pissed...no love from MinnKota either.

I am waging jihad against Minn Kota because of my experience with this thing. I promised their factory guy that this was what to expect from me after they would not replace my unit or even allow me to pay for an upgrade or a discounted replacement. Poor - poor - poor customer service!

MINN KOTA RIPTIDE = JUNK/TRASH/PIECE OF ****!!!

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
That stinks Capt Dennis.

Everyone I know that has them loves them incuding a guide who uses his ALOT in ocean salt water..

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I've used the Minnkota Riptide for several years and love it. This year I added the iPilot gps functionality to it and it is nothing short of amazing. I can pull up to any structure and simply hit the "anchor" button on the remote and the Minnkota keeps me within a short radius of that exact spot automagically.

The "autopilot" is great for working a larger area, and it makes solo trolling a breeze (using the trolling motor to maintain course while the main engine maintains speed).

I ran it into a piling this fall while docking and had to take it in for repairs... they completely rebuilt the lower unit for under $200.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I have had three of both kinds totaling six now. The motor guide is not bad but has a few weak spots in the wiring. The holes will line up if you replace with same MG. Should you go MK new holes will be drilled. But the feature per dollar is on the MK side. I have an Powerdrive AT50, RT70 AP and a ST80 wireless and all have had some issues. I have owned the Motor Guide gator 65 and the Great white 70 and the great white 75 and they lived for four years each.. I lean toward the MK due to ease of repair by me. Most of the issues I have had have been connectors, remotes getting wet and bad wiring. But they have never left me with out a working motor.. In the case of Motor Guide they have many times. I can always make it work.

Issues with MK are pedal connector corrodes. (Cut it off and soldier direct) (Auto pilot is magnetic and will head straight at pilings)

Capt Mike

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a Motor Guide 24 volt 65 lb thrust bow mount with the Gator mount breakaway in the foot control model that was purchsed new in 1991. I have used this motor in the upper Susquehanna river in PA which is extremly rocky as well as many rivers in MD and I couldn't tell you how many times this motor has hit a rock or log over the years with not one problem. Scratched the paint but not a nick or dent in the bullet head or skeg. The motor still runs great after almost twenty years of service and the foot control is extremly responsive and comfortable. I like the Gator mount break away over composite shafts. My next motor will be the Motor Guide 24 volt 82 lb thrust with the Gator Breakaway which has a spring return system to reset the motor in position after contacts in the water.

I purchased a new bass boat in 2007 that came with a Minn Kota 55 lb thrust power drive. The first time the skeg hit something it broke off and the warrenty doesn't cover repairs. After getting fed up the power drives noise and slow reponse, I placed the 1991 Motor guide on the 07 boat and she runs great.

The skeg on the Minn Kota's is not nearly as strong as the Motor Guides skeg and Minn Kota places the skeg in the front just behind the nose of the motor where the skeg is more likely to take impacts. Motor Guide places the skeg on most of the models in the rear near the prop. Also the power drives are noisey and slower in response than a pull pull or rack & pinion steering system. Another problem for me on the Minn Kota was the low profile foot control, it is extremly difficult to turn left or right while pressing the power button at the same time.

If you attend any fishing or sport shows this is a great place to do a comparison, as most shows have Minn Kota and Motor Guide booths as well as some other manufactures, or you can go to Bass Pro shops.

Hope this helps,
Line Sider 09

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I have never seen any guide boat in south Florida use anything but Minn Kota, which they pay for, no freebees.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Wino,

My guide boat paid full price and got a lemon. I did a lot of research on the motor before spending my $$ and was sold on the RipTide. When it works the motor was nothing but awesome. It is a neat piece of technology. I went through all the proper protocol with factory authorized repair centers, even sent the thing back to their factory. In the end it is still very UNRELIABLE. I keep a spare circuit board - you should not have to do that.

All manufacturers have lemons - in this case the lemon fell on me. Minn Kota was NOT a stand up company even when I pleaded my case to the parent company Johnson Outdoors. Everyone who steps on my boat is told what a piece of **** my trolling motor is. It is lemon, plain and simple. When I asked for replacement of my lemon the answer was no. When I asked to trade it in for another one or an upgrade and was willing to pay the answer was no.

Like I said I have owned other Minn Kota's that were bullet proof - this one is ridden with electrical gremlins.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you all for your input!

there is a lot of great info in this thread

i'll be "kicking some tires" at the shows and looking at some installed units over the winter

still going to be a tough choice......

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I agree 100 percent. I have one of these and my buddy has one on his bass boat. The foot pedals burn out every six months. On my jon boat (electric only) it gets used constantly and on my buddies bass boat it gets used quite a bit as well so it might be the fact that they just can't stand up to 10 hour days of constant use. I carry three batteries on the reservoir boat. The foot pedals wear out so much I keep an extra. In fact, last time I bought 6 extras (at 60 bucks apeice) because I was afraid Minn Kota was going to stop making them.

When they work, they do work great, but I would never buy another one. I spent good money on a hand steer bow mount trolling motor for the big boat because I don't want these problems again. (Haven't installed it yet but excited about it)

Your foot pedal WILL WEAR OUT on a Minn Kota RipTide. You can still operate it witht he remote, but to me that's just bulky and clumbersome.
DO NOT Buy a Minn Kota RipTide Co-Pilot

ABSOLUTE JUNK -PURE TRASH-EVEN WORSE CUSTOMER SERVICE

JUNK-JUNK-JUNK

I have had nothing but issues with this $1000 piece of ****. I have had in the shop several times under warranty, has been sent back to Minn Kota (talk about expensive) and I still have issues. Burns out circuit boards, fails to turn left, then right, turns itself on when hitting waves. This thing has witches, gremlins and is an utter disappointment. A search on Google revealed that there are others who share the same sentiment as me.

I have owned Minn Kota's for years that were flawless, same with MotorGuide, most were freshwater units that were much cheaper that were indestructable. I spend $1000 on a "top of the line" Riptide and have never been so pissed...no love from MinnKota either.

I am waging jihad against Minn Kota because of my experience with this thing. I promised their factory guy that this was what to expect from me after they would not replace my unit or even allow me to pay for an upgrade or a discounted replacement. Poor - poor - poor customer service!

MINN KOTA RIPTIDE = JUNK/TRASH/PIECE OF ****!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts