Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Downstream of the Conowingo Dam (i.e., where the yellow perch are biting) you need the Bay Sport; upstream of the Dam you need the freshwater license.

Trent

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
Might want to check - don't hold me to this.

I thought the fresh / saltwater line was near deer Creek - give / take 1 mile below the dam.

I think it has to do with the last set of rapids as a dividing line. Goes way back.

I know for a fact - I needed a fresh water license years ago to fish just below on from the dam. At that time , there was not a bay license yet.

DNR is at most fishing shows - they are always helpful.

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
Sorry for mix up on my end.

Been too long since I fished up that way - guess it showed.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information guys. Figures, I just ordered my bay sport boat license online so I'll have to wait for the mail. Was hoping a freshwater license would work up there. These YP reports gave me an ich that needs scratching. How long do the YP bite like they are? Up untill they spawn I hope. Take care and tight lines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you ordered the license on-line you can print it immediately. They will mail the boat decals to you. There is a paragraph that says you are permitted to fish with the license even if the boat decals have not been received.

·
Registered
10 Posts
www3.wildlifelicense.com/md

FISHING: The Consolidated Bay Sport Boat decal must be mailed, but the printed license serves as a valid Bay Sport Fishing license for the boat's primary owner.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
russelraven, the Perch usually stay in the Susquehanna until they get ready to spawn. They then move up in the other rivers, like the Northeast and Elk. Last year it was around the first week in March. Water teperature is the key.

Ele

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Mark, I am sure you know why, but for those that do not here is the reason they moved the tidal line to dam.

After the moritorium, in tidal water, you were allowed one fish but in non tidal water you were allowed two fish. So, to save any confusion and to keep fishermen from saying they were fishing in non tidal water when in fact they were fishing in tidal water, the line was moved to the dam.

Mark, because of this renewed YP fishery, I am going to start being open this week. I have not decided on hours yet, so if you are coming to the shop give us a ring first. 410 287 5490.

Ele

·
Registered
11,441 Posts
Mark, I am sure you know why, but for those that do not here is the reason they moved the tidal line to dam.

After the moritorium, in tidal water, you were allowed one fish but in non tidal water you were allowed two fish. So, to save any confusion and to keep fishermen from saying they were fishing in non tidal water when in fact they were fishing in tidal water, the line was moved to the dam.

Mark, because of this renewed YP fishery, I am going to start being open this week. I have not decided on hours yet, so if you are coming to the shop give us a ring first. 410 287 5490.

Ele
In addition to that reason,The "freshwater" season is & was open year around.If they didn't move the tidal line to the dam,it would have been legal to fish all year for Striped Bass from Deer Creek to Conowingo Dam.The season is still open all year above the Conowingo Dam.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
In addition to that reason,The "freshwater" season is & was open year around.If they didn't move the tidal line to the dam,it would have been legal to fish all year for Striped Bass from Deer Creek to Conowingo Dam.The season is still open all year above the Conowingo Dam.
Capt. Nick, And that too!

Ele

1 - 16 of 16 Posts