Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Mike (and everyone else),

I never start before St. Patty's Day.
When I start I always go to my favorite spot to dunk Herring or Bunker (preferably fresh) just east of Sandy on the "Hump".
If no takers there I go to Ken's favorite spot on the west side of the channel across from Tidewater (Harve De Grace) and repeat .
Then after about 2-3 weeks of this I go east of fishing battery in 7'-9' and throw #15 silver Tony's and chartreuse BA's.
If no success there I go over to the boy scout camp and fish the ditch there all the way down to TP trying to remain in 5'-9' on either side of the channel.
I try not to get involved with the fleet at all times and search my own fish and try to keep the rods as out of sight as possible when catching to avoid the bent rod radar clowns.

Please add spots if they have been successful to you and no I will not reveal these locations or fish them if your there.

·
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx John,

My best luck/most action has been around Sandy Point, outgoing, drifting right off the beach, actually throwing Tonys on the beach and reeling back and having blow ups in a couple feet of water....

last year I know I had 50 , that thing shot up and took off for deeper water and the no fish markers....there were boats there anchored and Jr was in reverse trying to catch up to it as I was reeling fast....we were getting to close to the anchored boats and I had to muscle her back towards the boat.....

If anyone catches a 50 with a Tony in its mouth, can I have my lure back....
We were originally one of the (first) boats anchored there with bait and nothing was happening...the fleet move around us....so we switched up and it paid off....but lost the big one......seems to be my go to spot....

Just west of the line near Turkey Point in that hole we had a little bit of success......no cows though.....

Last year with the bigger boat we did run around in front of HDG and marked alot of fish.....but no luck.

That has been it for our short time fishing the flats...

We plan to take the past 3 years of knowledge (some prayers) and learn from those mistakes and hopefully have a good spring, Last year we missed prime with a bunch of Scout things....

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
no mention of the port d area? I've done well there when its slow elsewhere, no monsters but if I have guests we can usually catch fish there on bait.

also if you get a good wind, drifting from the channel in front of the VA onto the flats can produce on lures once the schoolies show up.

And I'll second/third/fourth sandy pt, that beach has produced some of my best outings both on bait and lures.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Seems that Sandy Point is always off limits with the APG patrolling when I go. I did catch a monster in the fog last year on a weekend when there was no patrol boat. They were actually tailing in the shallows, you could see them. I will start fishing this Saturday down the Florida Keys and as soon as I get back in a week on the first day it warms to 60+ the bottom gets painted and in the slip it goes. Have my new Honda engine this year so I will be slow going the first week during the break-in period. Caught a hog on March 22nd one year on a Redfin in the middle shallows so I know they will take lures in the early season if you have the right movement. It was a cold 37 degree air temperature that day as well. I will try to refrain from using bait but I do get so anxious I may resort to herring in the early season. I'm looking forward to exchanging info w/you guys this spring. I cover many areas of the water because I never really find them in one spot on a regular basis. I go back to all my 'spots' and rarely reproduce but of course there is hope and when you have hope coupled with the right attitude and perserverence, well that is half the battle. Have a happy St. Paddys!

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I always start the first or second weekend in March and head right to Sandy Point. Water temps are the key when fishing early and up tight to Sandy Point warms up faster than most areas. The fish are not always there, but when they show up they can be in big numbers, mostly schoolies. Tony A's and BA's work even when its cold.

During this these two weeks you may not see another boat out there - thats why I go. The fishing is hit or miss, but if you find them - they are all yours.

Then the fleet comes in - its time to find other spots. Off the SP "hump" is a great spot for bait. Around the barges is another, then up river, even Carpenters point area.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Dito on SP, also the ditch south east of the Battery. Last year that ditch was loaded with schoolies. I had a few good days last year in the shallows in the middle with redfins. I had a blow up right at the boat, really big fish, grabbed the redfin and ran straight under the boat before I could do anything. Pulled off quick but I got the whole blow up on video, it was so cool. I think I'll go home today and watch it to get me pumped for this year. I did fish down at the CCNPP (presidents day) with Walleye Pete. We did pretty well and Pete said it has been the best February he has ever had there. He had 100+ days the whole month with good size fish. I hope that means a great flats season.

Good Luck to everyone this year, see you out there.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Last year I only had one good day in the middle channel off carpenters point,on top water.Other than that i havent had enough success to share info, but Im learning quick.
i plan on being out there this weekend the 13th. Who knows maybe Ill get a musky dunking bait

·
Registered
525 Posts
I am hoping to get the boat done as soon as possible to get out there. My goal is to have it in by the 25th. (Original goal was March 1st.) My spots are about the same as John's spots above since we are usually fishing together. Usually just search around for the warmest water this time of year which as most have said tends to be off SP. Not looking forward to this 3-4 inches of rain the next couple days with the damn already releasing a large amount of water. It's gonna be muddy for a bit out there.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I am hoping to get the boat done as soon as possible to get out there. My goal is to have it in by the 25th. (Original goal was March 1st.) My spots are about the same as John's spots above since we are usually fishing together. Usually just search around for the warmest water this time of year which as most have said tends to be off SP. Not looking forward to this 3-4 inches of rain the next couple days with the damn already releasing a large amount of water. It's gonna be muddy for a bit out there.
Muddy is right. I was going to drop my boat in yesterday to shake it off. I installed new hydraulic steering and got some hull work done over the winter. There was tons of debris coming down the susky so I decided not to take a chance. Best bet will be to launch from North East and stay on that side with bloods around Turkey Point. Think I might try that Sat. morning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts