Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some white perch are back in their summer spots along the shore. Tide was very low this morning. Caught most perch in 2 or 3 feet of water. All caught with a 1/16th jig head with 2.5" Gulp Minnow. Time for people that like perch fishing to check their shallow water spots. It's going to get better.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Nice job Andy, thanks for the post.

Once the winds stop blowing (seems like every weekend) I will be out there. This weekend coming is supposed to be 13 - 14mph. I cant put my skiff near the shoreline and rocks for perch. This is the latest I have ever started fishing.

Mike

·
Registered
185 Posts
Welcome back Andy, missed your reports as well. After 4 early weekend days of the skunk from shore at our creek off South River, Sunday was breakthrough day. First fish of the season wasn't a White Perch though. After some fan-casting beetle spins, switched to shad dart/grass shrimp combo and rod went down like a pretzel. Long story short, despite his best effort to come back at me and under the dock pilings, dragged up a big ole carp. Then 1 then another, finally 7 WP...4 of them sizable. Didn't bring my cam as I wasn't banking on anything, but my son was sure glad Dad brought home some fish to fry!
Let's hope for a good season from shore.
Mike (lubbernomo)

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Welcome back Andy, missed your reports as well. After 4 early weekend days of the skunk from shore at our creek off South River, Sunday was breakthrough day. First fish of the season wasn't a White Perch though. After some fan-casting beetle spins, switched to shad dart/grass shrimp combo and rod went down like a pretzel. Long story short, despite his best effort to come back at me and under the dock pilings, dragged up a big ole carp. Then 1 then another, finally 7 WP...4 of them sizable. Didn't bring my cam as I wasn't banking on anything, but my son was sure glad Dad brought home some fish to fry!
Let's hope for a good season from shore.
Mike (lubbernomo)
I heard about that rockfish. LOL! The summer shallow water perch fishing is on. But i might be out of action. I have to get a operation on my casting hand Wed.May 5th. I have a bad case of carpo tunnel probably from fishing. I don't know. I still might be able to fish.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
All those big fish you've caught through the years probably caused the carpo tunnel! LOL! Nice bucket of perch by the way. They are just now getting good in the Susky.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All those big fish you've caught through the years probably caused the carpo tunnel! LOL! Nice bucket of perch by the way. They are just now getting good in the Susky.
That's good to hear. Looking forward for a video if you still make them. Jerry, the perch were not ready to hit your panfish spinner baits.Had to use the Gulp Minnows on them.Wonder why they didn't hit the spinners? Maybe they didn't want to chase after that long swim from the upper Choptank spawning run. Maybe!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I guess that's why I saw 15 boats just below Lee's on Friday night when I went over the I95 bridge.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Andy,
Many thanks to you for posting. Do you fish the jig under a bobber? What pound test line do you use and what type of knot for the jig? Thanks again for posting!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Andy,
Many thanks to you for posting. Do you fish the jig under a bobber? What pound test line do you use and what type of knot for the jig? Thanks again for posting!
Thanks you for the reply. I do use the little jig under a bobber for crappie and bluegills. But no bobber for perch, just cast and slow retrieve and let it slow fall at times. I am using 10# Spider Wire right now because they are out of what I did use. I did use 8# Power Pro for years. But I like this 10# Spider Wire. Cast just as good and I can see my line better on the retrieve. and that means a lot on them little taps. if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw fishing birds in around our piers about noontime today. I was thinking the bait might be back in the hood.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Caught my first and only white perch yesterday in the shallows of South Creek on a spinner, water temp 64. Plenty of grass shrimp along the bulkheads. Looking forward to the first fish fry of the season.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Excellent to see the perch coming back down the rivers. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I heard about that rockfish. LOL! The summer shallow water perch fishing is on. But i might be out of action. I have to get a operation on my casting hand Wed.May 5th. I have a bad case of carpo tunnel probably from fishing. I don't know. I still might be able to fish.
No fishing for a while. Doctor said if I get it wet with fish, or river water I would really have a problem. So no fishing for me. LOL!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts