Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...snapping turtle!

I was on leave the past 8 days and I fished and crabbed the Severn three different mornings--and I had a great time!!

Today my fishing bud Bill (Piscophile on T-fish) and I perch fished the creeks in the middle Severn upstream from the Naval Academy and below Round Bay. We harvested 30-something white perch and we had some good variety of other species. We caught two yellow perch including a 12 inch fish and two pickerel, one at 8 and the other at about 18 inches, one striper that was just sub-legal that put up a great fight on the 6 lb ultralight perch rig, and I caught a nice male crab on a bettlespin with gulp and strip of perch belly (our super secret lure). Those were the first yellow perch we have seen all season on the Severn.

We also fished a week ago yesterday and did well on white perch and not much else. On Tuesday I crabbed with a newbie crabber and we did well with most of a bushel and we had a blast. Besides the nice crabs, my friend was pulling a net ring trap and pulled up a huge snapping turtle--a first for me on the Severn!! It was in the 25 lb class range and we did not try to get it in the boat

I have crabbed the Severn for years and that is my first Severn snapper, and it goes along with my first Severn channel cat that I caught earlier in the season. I have had snapping turtles interact with my crab gear on the Wye and on other rivers, but never the Severn

And besides the fishing the wildlife never fails to provide a show. Lots of kingfisher and osprey action, great blue and little green herons were in most of the spots we fished, and we saw a young-of-the-year black crowned night heron in a dense shoreside tree in one of the creeks. And then there are the youngsters on the stand up paddle boards along with the occasional SUP-riding dog....

Life is good on the Severn!!!!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
693 Posts
Severn River Life indeed! Great report, Steve.

Back in 1984, when Bernie Frantum's boat ramp was still in operation on Asquith Creek, there was a fellow from Calvert County who turtled the river's salt ponds with large, rectangular traps made of welded turkey wire out of a 24' Privateer. He landed his critters just after noon each day and drove them to a packer in York, PA who turned them into snapper soup (with sherry). Haven't heard much about snappers since them, apart from occasionally seeing females on shore in early summer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts