Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring time food plots for some fall Whitetail huntinh that is. I'm putting in three more this year to give me a total of 2 acres of wildlife plots on my 10 acres.

Those of you who own and hunt small parcels of land and do not plant eats for your deer are missing out.

Do yourself a favor a spread a little fertilizer, lime and seed.

DEAN

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I once planted about 1 1/2 acres of whitetail clover and the deer would be in it when I came to the stand and be there when I left after dark sometimes. That stuff really draws them but, after the second year it won't grow again in the same place. It does something to the ground and it won't grow again. I waited several years thinking the ground was build back up but it still wouldn't grow clover. An ag. agent might be able to tell me what to do but I haven't contacted one. We usually get our limit anyway.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Clover is supposed to be planted from feb 15 - march 15 for coastal VA. I think the bag said March 31 for inland areas. Fall plantings of clover usually turn out better in my experince unless there is a mild summer. I put in 6 plots so far with the largest being about 4 acres. The 4 acre plot took two 25 pound bags of imperial clover. Do not use fertilizer with Nitrogen on clover, it just makes the weeds grow. My 2 cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts