Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the post states, i'd like to know how many here likes to eat these striped trayt.

i personally DO NOT like the taste of rock, plus i hate to filet them, as they have , imho, very little eating flesh on them,., in comparison to their size.

to claify... there are very few trayt that i DO like to eat. what say you guys?

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Good morning Sir.

I'll eat most anything from the briny, but rockfish rates way down the list for me. Wife likes it, but given a choice, she'd rather have a real trayt, specked or gray, especially spec, over rockfish.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah will... i agree on the spec trayt. only had them one time down hattris, but them boys tassed pretty good. i like spanish, too, and of course, flatted thangs!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I enjoy eating them although they are not my favorite eating fish overall. But its hard to beat a good baked stuffed rock.....

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I'll bring occasional fish home for my family to eat. Baked with butter and Old Bay....I'm not crazy about the taste but the kids love it. I agree Butch, after removing all the red meat you're left with less than you'd expect.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
We enjoy Rockfish I think it's better than anything at the store with exception to squid, shame there isn't more useable meat on them.
if I had my druthers think I'd go for cobia, wahoo or tilefish.

·
Registered
14,322 Posts
Deep fried perch fillets are my favorite with blues coming in second but still enjoy a rock fish cooked in many different ways.There are better tasting fish from the ocean but am just talking bay fish........Gary

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Deep fried perch fillets are my favorite with blues coming in second but still enjoy a rock fish cooked in many different ways.There are better tasting fish from the ocean but am just talking bay fish........Gary
Gary we haven't had fried perch in years & i forgot about fresh grilled bluefish.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Rock isn't my favorite but I'll bring one home for the table. My favorite is fried w perch followed by smoked blues, big spot and croakers. Almost forgot yellow neds.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Out of the bay Spanish Mackeral are by far the best tasting fish. If you go south in the bay and can get into some cobia, that is some awesome eating right there. Rockfish rate way down the list in good tasting fish. 2-5lb blues on the grill or smoked, another awesome tasting fish IMO.

·
Registered
643 Posts
i love the rock; just a little salt and pepper is fine. it's mild enough that even my wife is ok with it.

i haven't found the taste for Spanish Mack yet but keep trying. i always eat fresh caught and have tried bleeding them too. they're ok but haven't figured out what it is that everyone loves them so much. also contrary to many, i prefer white perch to yellow. a friend from out of town liked catfish and hushpuppies the best. i like goose and venison but you'll find no shortage of people that cannot understand how. i think it's just 'a matter of taste', no right/wrong.

·
Registered
12,819 Posts
I very seldom eat em,now tog, black sea bass and of coarse the flat ones rule.I will bring a rock home if one of my neighbors asks for one.In fact I am a litttle worried eating about anything in the uppermiddle and upper bay.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I very seldom eat em,now tog, black sea bass and of coarse the flat ones rule.I will bring a rock home if one of my neighbors asks for one.In fact I am a litttle worried eating about anything in the uppermiddle and upper bay.
Smart man.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I like to bake a big filet and serve it with butter and a little Old Bay.
I think it’s a good eating fish.

When it comes to a question like this…. You have to keep in mind that quite a few guys don’t like any kind of fish very much.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brothyers,
Just read an article in the Capitol, Annapolis's hometown newspaper otherwise known as the Crabwrapper, recommending adult males restrict their consumption of CB rockfish to 8 ounces per month due to PCB's and mercuary. And they say not to eat CB bluefish at all. The kids like striped traynt, My Lovely Bride likes croaker and I'm not sure what I like that comes out of the CB. We are having a family fish fry for Easter and I'm in charge of the fish and the fry portion of the event. My limit of rocktryant would be great and if I was Shawn Kimbro I could do it LTJ'ing while everyone else is trolling. But I'm not and it looks like the fish store for me.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Well Ol Man,
I can't think of anything out of the Bay I Do Not like.
Although some more than others.
To watch the Talladega race tommorrow,
Mary is pulling out some of the last of our bay treasures we've been enjoying all winter.
Smoked Blues, Crab Balls and Rockfish chunked and fried in Beer Batter.
Can't get much better than that.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts