Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about going out of rudee sometime in the middle of next week for some cobia. anyone else interested?

·
Registered
300 Posts
What do you dudes think about the Hampton area? Grandview or Buckroe are infamous for big cobia early in the season and close to the beach. I've never fished the area, anyone have some intel? It may still be early for an ocean adventure, but if they are in the bay then why wouldn't they be in the ocean. We might want to launch from Sandbridge and hit the buoy. Shoot, I'm off all week so Lets hit both! Oh yeah, don't forget Fisherman's Island where cobes and drum are possible. Looks like a fishy week.

Ric
289-5136

·
Registered
284 Posts
I want to try Grandview. I keep hearing about the area being great for cobia and the latest VA Sports and Outdoors has an article about bluefish rock and the availability of the cobia there and that they are usually caguht there before anywhere else. Just need to do the research on where to launch, the coordinates for bluefish rock and then just do it. I am ready. I also have been wanting to do a night cobia trip and that looks like the place to do it.
Chad

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fish have to come by rudee to get to hampton. I haven't been over there in a long time, but I hear it's loaded with crab pots. I have caught some nice fish on top before around the atlantic buoys. There are also some promising reports of cobia from the carolina beaches. I'd rather take a sleigh ride on the open ocean than through a slolem course of crab pots.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
You will have a beter shot at the Hampton beaches, It is spawning time and the horny fish are on inshore structure. Sandbriddge time will come later this summer. The crowds at LIP are pretty high.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just spoke with the guy over at Wallace's and he gave the "scoop" on the where, the how and the when (NOW). That coupled with the hundreds of articles I have read on internet archives have got me pumped about that area. I am thinking of trying an evening into to night trip over there this weekend and taking my brother-in-law (in town for Texas) out and trying to put him on somthing big. IF you are interested, give me a shout at 348-2232.
Chad

·
Registered
253 Posts
Bluefish rock is less then 3 miles from shore The area off of grandview is covered with humps. This is when is when you you need the mapping gps so you can find the humps.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a couple of eels in the pen so far, hopefully I'll have enough to share when the time comes. I should also have a few dozen finger mullet to play with. Do you guys plan on chumming or looking for surface cruisers?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am up for this weekend on the hampton side for Cobia. I have to get my fishing in a little at a time now cause I am closing on a house of the 5th of July and then flying to Bahrain on the 23. Busy month for me.

If we can get a group it would be great to enjoy in the fun. I can be reached at 575-1640 for planning.

Keivn

·
Registered
284 Posts
We did the Grandview thing for cobia. Great area, marked a lot of structure and a lot fish. Found some areas that looked real fishy for specks and reds on the way back to Wallaces. We tried to launch where the grandview pier used to be but it was too rough and a little to far to paddle with my brohter in law on his first trip at night. We fish for several hours (six) and caught a big fat skunk. (Redmoon cuaght a few croaker) We had baits on the surface and on bottom and still nada, not even a shark. Their were thousands of small minnow and baitfish in the water so we had a lot to compete with. Beautifull night, beautiful area and zero fish. I am hoping that was one of those pay your dues nights that will result in something big later. I plan to keep going to that area.
Chad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts