Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes Force engines? I am looking to buy a Force engine but want to know who makes it so I know what type of controls to buy for it. I currently have a Mercury controller and have to sell it soon if it will not work. Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Force is the old chrysler motor , merc bought them out 7 or 8 years ago . they stopped them a few years ago . I dought if any parts are interchangeable . Save your money for something you can get parts for . jose

·
Registered
519 Posts
chrysler made force engines.. then US Marine bought them out and then mercury bought it in 1991...

i have a 1990 US marine force 120hp...turned out to be a piece of s*** and was warned about force engines but i bought anyway cuz of the price....i have since learned how to work on force engines cuz no mechanic wants to work on them or they will charge you outrageous prices to do so... so if you are not mechanically inclined DO NOT buy it......parts can be bought from ebay pretty regularly people part out their motors as they die.....buying from mercury will get you raped on overpriced parts.

knowing what i know about forces now.. i would not buy a force engine unless it was for $500 or less and in perfect running condition....be sure to do a compression check and spark before you buy it also.

·
Registered
151 Posts
F 'ing
O ld
R ebuilt
C hrysler
E ngine

They are acutally pretty simple engines that are good for the $$. Carbs and ignition are the weak spots.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a 97 Force, made by Merc and QuickSilver(Merc) parts fit it just fine. I have a mechanic that keeps it running as well as a Force can. It is a simple engine and he does not seem to mind doing the work on it. IF I could afford to, I would re-power. They are loud, dirty, and not at all fule efficient.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I am able to do my own work to maintain the engine. The engine I am looking at is a 96 Force so it would fall under the Mercury line but would my old Merc 500 controls work with the force engine? I only use the boat about 10 times a year so perhaps this would not be such a bad engine for me.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
they were originaly chrysler outboards, and when chrysler decided to get out of the outboard business in the late 80's /early 90's they were acquired by Bayliner as U S Marine/Force , and later acquired by mercury outboards (brunswick) in the 90's.
Mercury discontinued the Force line of outboars in 2001..many parts are no longer available..if you already have one ,run it 'till it dies,,but I would not recomend acquiring a used one

·
Registered
519 Posts
ejohns... since i started having my force problems... i found 2 forums that are absolutely worth thier weight in gold..... here is the links..

http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=33

this next forum is the best.. its ran by a force/mercury mechanic ...who knows just about everything there is to know about force engines...the marine doctor

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

is this motor currently on a boat and able to be sea trialed...have you done a compression check on this motor yet? have you done a spark test on this motor yet?...i wouldnt buy it without doing these 3 things.

your mercury controls "should" fit with your force but i'd definetly ask the marine doctor to be sure.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the 96 Force I am interested in buying is made by Mercury isn't it correct to say it is a Mercury engine like a lexus is a toyota? If the parts from a merc fit this engine it should be very easy to find parts to it. Why would this engine be any less desirable than a merc? The name is just a marketing thing?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ultimately it's your decision so take all the advice for what it's worth.
The Force motor is probably very afforable and would get you on the water.
However! Being out on the water and knowing your motor will start everytime and run good is very reassuring. Without a motor, you're a big canoe. Cause you'll be paddling!

Getting towed back to the boat ramp could cost you more in the long run.

Good luck.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you were to rank all the motors made in recent years, Force would probably come in dead last for most. They're simple, old designs and easy to work on, and that's probably the end of the good news. They don't hold up very well. Had a 55 HP Chrysler years ago and it was OK, but I would not take a motor like that offshore or anywhere a long tow might be involved.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 1998 120 Force that has been great. It's simple and very good on fuel on my 21" Trophy. It's noisy and you have to pre-mix bu has been trouble free for over 325 hours. Parts is not a problem. The 1996 and up had more Mercury in them and hold up well. The troublesome Chrysler stuff has been replaced with the right stuff. Just my own experience with one. It came on the boat and wasn't real wild about it at first but became impressed with the fuel rates I get with it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 1998 120 Force that has been great. It's simple and very good on fuel on my 21" Trophy. It's noisy and you have to pre-mix bu has been trouble free for over 325 hours. Parts is not a problem. The 1996 and up had more Mercury in them and hold up well. The troublesome Chrysler stuff has been replaced with the right stuff. Just my own experience with one. It came on the boat and wasn't real wild about it at first but became impressed with the fuel rates I get with it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have a '93 Force 90. It still purrs. I can't find anodes for it, so I'm cleaning them with a brush. Someone told me that Riverside marine will work on them, but I haven't called them to check.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts