Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a message asking who makes Force and it appears it is not a great engine. I am in the market for a 75HP outboard. I only use my boat on the bay about 10 times a year so I would not be concerned with longevity in terms of heavy use like a charter boat or someone who fishes all summer. I kit the trolling season then only a few times when the blues come up the bay. I have a Mercury 500, 50HP that blew the power head. I want an engine that is newer for 3 reasons, more power, better fuel economy and lighter weight. If I buy the 1996 force I think I can use my controls. If I buy another brand I have to spend even more money on the controls.
Long story short, I need some opinions on the most logical buy inder my circumstances. Ebay has lots of old outboard and new ones but I am looking for something in between with power trim. Thanks folks. $1000 to $1300

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry it looks like an idiot posted the message with all the typos. I should have proof read it before I posted it.[grin]

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
While many people have strong opinions on a particular brand (yammie for me) Merc, Yam, Zuki, Honda are all good motors.

I don't think you will find a 70-80 hp in real good condition for under $1300. You can probably expect to pay at least double that amount unless you stumble across a divorce sale[grin]

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I am going to have to skip on the power trim and tilt as well as the oil injection (Which I think is a faulty design anyway since mixing it yourself has worked for decades and it is just another area that can break down). Are outboard owners like pickup truck owners, either buy american or your a trader? I know johnson and mercury have been in the business for a long time and the new guys like Yamaha and Sizuki make a good motor but there have to be tests out there showing the proof in the pudding? What motor should I want as a guy who fixes his own motors? Is there one out there that is particuraly friendly to mechanics? Easy to work on and reliable?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have a suzuki 70 4 stroke. It was bought new and has recieved tons of hours running, trolling, and trot lining. It has been incredible. I have NEVER had a problem with this motor starting in the cold or heat first turn of the key every time. The only problems I have had were a result of my own negligence ( dead Bat., old gas- changed plugs, used injector cleaner fixed right away) This engine also came with a 6 year warranty. I am now in my first year w/o warranty so we will see how she does. In short I couln't be happier with the reliability, quietness, and fuel consumption. ( Could use more low end punch though)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts