Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

I have a 11 yr old garmin 215 gps/diff. have had no probs with it. it is installed in dash, but think i can get it out.

I have been in contact with gamin and they gave me a couple suggestions, that have not solved the prob. on the hardtop are 2 antennas ( gps antenna and beacon antenna/coupler).
I have checked the connections and they seem ok. (I am electronically challenged).

the problem is (i think) the satellites are not being located, so when the boat is running, the little boat on the screen stays at the last position(flag hbr) that it did last find a satellite( last yr. )

the actual msg is"no rtcm input'.

now I also get a warning msg that sounds like trouble 'internal basemap has been currupted. the unit will still function correctly, only the basemap data will be unavailable'. I don't know what the basemap is, but sounds serious.

Anyway, is anyone familar with this/these problems.??

Anyone recommend a shop that works on garmin, especially the older units (11 yrs old). Hate to buy a new one if there is a pretty simple fix.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Call BOE on Kent Island. They know Garmin.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Time to upgrade. You will be glad you did. Your prorated cost per year is enviable. Give it its final rites or sell it for parts on ebay.

·
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys.

dang it.....when I buy a quality product I expect to get a little more than 11 yrs out of it. I'll stop by boe and see what they say.
I really don't use it much. heck.....I know when the pp is, especially from slippage a mile away.

G

·
If you have the chip for that unit it will likely sell for a few bucks on ebay to anyone with an older 215, 225, 230, 235 garmin gps. There are always people looking for those old g-charts. You are having issues because one of the GPS satellites was decommissioned and replaced a few years ago. I don't know of any software update hardware available for the older full size g-charts. Jim at BOE will set you up with a nice replacement for that unit. Look at the new Garmin 740 touchscreen if you need a similar dash footprint. You will find your money well spend once it is installed in the boat. Your 11 year old unit is is like a desktop computer with 256mb of memory.

·
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks 331.

i just looked at the prices on the internet. at $1500 it better wind the fish in for me. wow....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts