Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eminent Brothers,
I remember a time when Detroit Iron was Detroit Iron and your typical family sedan was as much tow vehicle as you needed. I had a 1966 Bonneville and with air-shocks it towed anything. Somewhere along the line you had to have a truck or truck based SUV to tow anything. Read somewhere it was a combination of front wheel drive trans-axels with no guts and the aero front ends did not allow enough air flow to the radiator to deal with the extra heat from towing. Anyway I looked around the neighborhood and nobody on my street has an American car. American trucks and SUV's all right, but; no American cars. I saw one old Caddy sedan at the local shopping center and some Dodge mini-vans, but; everything else was Toyota, Honda, Nisson, VW's.....there were even more Audi's at the parking lot then American cars. Even if I wanted an American car the only ones that stand out to me are the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and the Mustang. Is it me or is Toyota and Honda taking over the car market??

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
414 Posts
Quite honestly the only American Car I would consider right now is the Chrylser 300C SRT-8. I don't even care for the Magnum or Charger. I have a Dodge truck to pull my boat, but beyond that there isn't anything besides a German or British made car I would consider. My dodge is even partially German for cripes sake.

I'm with you though Graybeard, My dad had an '86 Ford County Squire Wagon we used to pull everything but the kitchen sink with. He finally sold it last year and bought a Chevy Truck.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Where have ya been for the last 10 years? Actually I think the American cars are finally starting to make a competitive product. It will probably take a few more years to show up on the street but Detroit is starting to make some nice cars. Now that does'nt mean the imports are'nt still a better product but until lately American cars where'nt really even an option. I must admit I do own a 2002 cavalier I use for long range trips, but American sedans have been questionable in build quality in the past. The cavalier has'nt needed anything but oil,tires and brakes in 70k so I can't say too many bad things about it. I think if I was in the market today for a nice family sedan I'd have two options based on value and style. I like the Hyundai Senota and the Dodge Charger. I know they are'nt very similar but both offer a good mix of style quality and value. Sure honda and Toyota make great cars but you pay something extra for the name. I think both Chrysler and hyundai have closed the gap enough to give products of similar quality with some nice value built in.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Quite honestly the only American Car I would consider right now is the Chrylser 300C SRT-8. I don't even care for the Magnum or Charger. I have a Dodge truck to pull my boat, but beyond that there isn't anything besides a German or British made car I would consider. My dodge is even partially German for cripes sake.

I'm with you though Graybeard, My dad had an '86 Ford County Squire Wagon we used to pull everything but the kitchen sink with. He finally sold it last year and bought a Chevy Truck.
You'd consider a British car? I've worked on some Rovers and Jags and after the first few I learned to be very busy with other stuff when they came in the door.:eek:

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eminent Brothers,
We had a bunch of Dodge Neons at work and they gave true meaning to the term POS. Before that we had Cavaliers and they were better. But they were discontinued for something called a Colbalt and I've only seen tham at car rental agancies. Now we got a bunch of Ford Fussions. They had one of the new Toyota Tundra's at PSG today and I think Ford, Chevy/GMC and Dodge need to worry.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Ive got four;

71 Roadrunner
71 Challenger
95 Safari van
05 Magnum

The AWD van has been great the last few days as I had to drive up to PA thru the storm. The van sits alot as it is the tow and haul vehicle.

I wish they still made the Safari/Astro model...

Had two bonnevilles before the magnum and a sho taurus before that. Before that I had a couple riceburners but that was when I was young and foolish..(actually, the first car I "owned" was a 1981 toyota corolla SR-5 that I thought was the cats meeyow)

My wife drives a 02 Subaru Outback wagon and we love that thing as well.

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eminent Brother,
the van don't count and neither do the 71 Mopars. The new Dodge counts, I forgot I like that piece of detroit Iron too

·
Registered
9,011 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
I remember a time when Detroit Iron was Detroit Iron and your typical family sedan was as much tow vehicle as you needed. I had a 1966 Bonneville and with air-shocks it towed anything. Somewhere along the line you had to have a truck or truck based SUV to tow anything. Read somewhere it was a combination of front wheel drive trans-axels with no guts and the aero front ends did not allow enough air flow to the radiator to deal with the extra heat from towing. Anyway I looked around the neighborhood and nobody on my street has an American car. American trucks and SUV's all right, but; no American cars. I saw one old Caddy sedan at the local shopping center and some Dodge mini-vans, but; everything else was Toyota, Honda, Nisson, VW's.....there were even more Audi's at the parking lot then American cars. Even if I wanted an American car the only ones that stand out to me are the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and the Mustang. Is it me or is Toyota and Honda taking over the car market??
John,I have ONLY American "Sold" vehicles.That said,1/2 the parts on them are NOT made in the U.S.The Japs took over the the Auto industry many years ago with products that were simple and reliable!:(

I have to repeat what Russ said,the American made vehicles have come a LONG way in quality,not far from the Japenese,but have a little ways to go.Is it too late,who knows.But I think it will take another 10 yrs. for us Americans to realize that Detroit is trying VERY hard to get back in the competion with the Foreign made Cars.

On the flip side ,you can buy a WHOLE lot more late model used car[American made] a WHOLE lot cheaper than a comparable Foreign made car[Used].More value for your dollar.[Mike]

·
Registered
703 Posts
American made ?

I think you have to define what is American made.

In 1999 when I was shopping around for my current truck, I made it a point to
open the door and look at the metal plate to see where the vehicles were made.
Dodge trucks were made in Mexico which surprised me. I ended up getting a
GMC made in US.

Toyota Motors just opened their 5th plant in the US in San Antonio, TX.
Maybe they don't have a reputation for being American made but at least
they are hiring Americans!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
414 Posts
You'd consider a British car? I've worked on some Rovers and Jags and after the first few I learned to be very busy with other stuff when they came in the door.:eek:
My wife wants a new Range Rover, which are leaps and bounds above what they used to be. I would also consider a Mini Cooper S for a race/weekend car. Maybe one day when I make enough money to support all my habits.....:D

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
That Cavalier was a Corolla in diguise Russ, My Tennesse built Frontier was a very good vehicle. My wife adores her Mexican built Jetta 1.8T, All you guys with the AMC, I mean Chrysler products own German owned vehicles. The Global economy is here folks (maybe not in So MD yet) For all the Stars and Stripes talk, consumers will buy what's in their best interest, and that's not a bad thing. Hell my fav spinnerbait is made in Costa Rica, and some really good sticks are being built in Korea. Now I just need to get Barrack elected, and teach landscaping and chid sitting to white folk, and the plan will really come together.:helpsmilie:

1 - 20 of 89 Posts