Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TF'rs,
I saw the recent post on buying a new truck, I have a more specific question - > Does anybody tow with a late model V6 Toyota 4 runner?
What is the real scoop on gas mpg with and without the tow?
Does the back end sag under your tongue weight?
Is there enough power?
Can you control the trailer when stopping?

My boat is a Maycraft 1900 CC, venture trailer with brakes. The total weight all in is ~3,800 lbs. I typically tow 60 miles over reasonable highway, no mountains. Ramps are paved.

BTW. I am currently a 2008 Tundra guy. The gas mileage is horrible for my commute. Great truck though, and hey, if the space shuttle ever breaks down on my street and AAA is not around, I can give them a tow!

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tow a GW 180 with a 06 4 runner. w/o the boat I get about 25 mpg wighway. I bought the boat this spring in SC and towed back to MD. I got 12 MPG on that trip averaging 60MPH. I regularly tow the boat at 70 MPH without any probem although a bit more power would be nice. I just can't keep from thinking that I am taxing the v6 although I have had zero issues. Stopping is not a problem either but I do have dual axle with hydraulic brakes. Also, I have 130K on the 4runner. I love this SUV.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have the 07 V6 and tow a 18.5 heavy CC w/o brakes. I don't have any problem braking but I wish it had a little more power. Fuel economy is rather poor when towing at around 10-12mpg. If all your ever going to tow is that size boat, I say go for it because it is a great vehicle and should last but it is always nice to have a little more oomph. A buddy has the same year tundra and it feels a little more solid when towing but I think it gets worse gas mileage due to the gear ratio.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I tow with the 4runner 4.0L, my wood trailer loaded is about 3000lbs and its tows and brakes quite well, my 16ft cdory (recently sold) on the trailer is only around 2000 lbs. and you can hardly notice the weight during the tow, now the 22' Judge CC is another story my guess is boat, motor, trailer and all the gear is closer to 4500 lbs. and you can tell your towing near capacity. If you drive highway speeds you absolutely need trailer brakes. The most sag I notice is around 2.5 inches max with the Judge 22 CC

My non-towing mpg average is 23-24 hwy., mixed hwy. and local averages around 20mpg. The wood trailer is the only one I've checked for mpg and it was getting around 15mpg on flatlands with little to no hills. The 4runner does come stock with oil cooler which helps keep engine temps cool. and it rarely slips on steep ramps when pulling the boat out. I do notice more trucks than SUV's losing traction on the ramps--not really sure why??

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have a 99 4runner, V6, auto. I tow a 20ft bertram. The boat and trailer was weighted at 4400lbs. Trailer has brakes,and I am glad they are there.There are times I wish I had more power,but it gets the job done.On flat roads not much of an issue.Miliage,of course drops way off.
Hope this helps, Jeff

·
Registered
265 Posts
I tow up to 3K with my 2012 4 runner 6 cyl., in the mountains, without any of the problems you mentioned. Overall mpg is around 22 unhitched.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I tow a very waterlogged 22' Mako with a '96 4runner with over 275k on the odometer.
Yes, it sags, but she does pretty good. Braking no problem, ramps no problem.
Only thing is she scrubs speed on tall bridges.
I don't push her, because with that mileage I don't like to give her the high rpm's associated with kicking down a gear.
The ol' Runner has been a fantastic vehicle. I refuse to get rid of it. Crazy reliable
She's like the honey badger, no matter what you throw at'er, she just don't give a sh!t...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts