Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sea Boss 210 (21') center console. Price to beat is $2000 for a welded frame, fabric top, 4 rod holders, no electronics box.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shawn: I've looked at all the bolt together models and they are all either right around $2k after adding the canvas, rod holders and other hardware or have major design problems like the fishmaster. Since I have a side console door, I would have to do some kind of mickey mouse b.s. where I take the hinges off the door or something like that with the fishmaster.

I can get a custom made welded t-top from Ed's for $2,000 now.

Since we are supposedly in a recession and folks are in need of work, figured I see if any local folks want to beat the price.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
Since I have a side console door, I would have to do some kind of mickey mouse b.s. where I take the hinges off the door or something like that with the fishmaster.
I have a Sea Pro 22' and that is the same conclusion I came to as well. Good luck with your search...Don

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Watch getting too low of a price.A T-top will need to be built very strong to withstand the beating it takes from running and trailering.I've seen welds break on low priced tops.The mounting needs to be done right also - do not accepted screws-they will pull out.

The price of SS and aluminum is high right now - $2,000.00 with labor and the cover is not bad.Be sure to add spreader lights - not much more money but they are great to have :thumbup:.

If you are not in a big hurry- check out the fishing shows/boat shows in winter.Most years there a 2-3 shops there who make tops.

·
Registered
264 Posts
a friend of mine bought one from florida off a used boat for 750 bucks from a guy in florida had it shipped for 200 and put new canvas on it 250 just a thought they have boat salavage yards around

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
After reading the instruction PFD for the Fishmaster T top, those bases and screws look small for the job. I would not trust them even with the 5200 adhesive. Once the bases break loose you will have a bigger problem to deal with. It is not just the weight of the T-top but guys tend to hang on to the tubing in rough water. Can you imagine a guy weighing 250 or more hanging onto those tubes as you run in big waves?

If they are working for some guys that is good but I would not want that T top. I could be wrong but that is my initial impression.

One more thing. Some boats use foam to reinforce the deck. Foam has little screw holding capability. When we toured the Jones Brothers Plant in Morehead City recently, Donnie Jones showed us some very expensive high density plastic that he molded into the deck in areas where things were to be screwed to it. I would not add a T-top unless I knew exactly what was under the deck where the bases were mounted. If it is a deck built up with foam, the thin layers of fiberglass would not hold the screws.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fishmaster T-Top

I put a fishmaster top on my 19' and I have no complaints. Everyone likes the way it looks and it folds for towing, if you don't feel comfortable leaving it up, or during storage so you don't need to buy an expensive cover. You only have to remove the hinges if the door opening is where a post will cross, I did not have this problem. When I installed my top I didn't like the screws either so I used anchors and 1/4" bolts. They supply bolts and spacers to bolt through the console on the sides. You can also buy optional braces if you want.

Paul

·
Registered
57 Posts
Eastern Marine Fabrications- in Onley, VA - He is very good at t-tops, towers, and anything like that. Doesn't seem to be in your area but just throwing it out there. You will get a custom, quality job for a reasonable price.

His name is Jon Parrish 757-710-4460

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The Smith SS -Top makes a special model for consoles with doors. I installed one on a 20' Sea Fox for a guy, and it was really quite simple. It looked great, and his door still opened. Check their website, or call them to verify the height.

That being said, 2000 is a good price, assuming it's well crafted, if it's from Ed's, I'd have my doubts.

·
Registered
415 Posts
What type of top are you looking for canvas or glass?

It makes a big difference in the build and material costs.

Just make sure who ever builds it uses 2"pipe (1.900 O.D.)min for the uprights. And they are firmiliar with TIG welding using
a argon/helium mix. This is the only proper way to weld anodized pipe.

I would build it for you but the price is to low for me. My glas tops start out at 4400 and canvas are 3850. The price of materials
alone atleast double over the bast few years. But for this kind of price there is no skimping, extremly strong and wel built.
I build very few any more with the economy but up until a few years ago was building 8-10 a year.

The guy from fish master has a excellent reputation in the wakeboarding market for what its worth and those guy abuse towers.
I still build a few of those a year.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
When you decide, make sure you get some sort of assurance the top won't "wig-wag". A friend saved some money, had one built and installed that was made of lighter tube. The rocket launcher swung from side to side "wig-wagged" enough to spin the rods up and out of the holders.
Custom Tops and Towers by Gary Adolph has built 2 for me. Nothing but the best of looks and performance. It was some time ago, so the prices surely have changed. At the time, Gary was very competative.
Custom Tops is in Smithfield, VA.
[email protected]

budc

·
Registered
12 Posts
cant wait to see what you end up doing, i have been wrestling with this same thing for two years now, my old man put an atlantic towers top, and its not bad, it just does not fir the lines of the boat like i would like. Got a quote from Sandpiper in Deale, will probably end up going with him on the install. I agree with everyone else, mine was from the factory and was not installed well, i think it was a bad design anyway. I would definitely opt for additional bracing into the console.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I don't know where your located? I met Glen Weeks of Performance Welding at the a.c. Boat show last year. He built me a half tower for my parker that came out beautiful. He is a nice guy and his price was much less than other estimates i received. Good luck and remember you get what you pay for (most times anyway).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts