Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eminent brothers
Back in the day when I still used mono and was feeling my way around the chumming bite at Hacketts Point, I remember having a big striper at the boat with my hart in my throat and losing it to a bad knot. At the time I thought I'd never catch a fish that big again. Since then I made sure I learned how to tie decent knots and to keep an eye on my leader for nicks. At least most times anyway. Haven't lost another fish, but have lost my share of lead!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Had a very nice smallmouth to the boat in Canada one night. He dove down and BOINK the line popped up with that telltale pig tale on the end... My 14 year old son looked at it; and then at me.. he didn't have to say anything!!! felt bad for a week.. Went back to the exact spot following year; same lure; netted a 5 pounder!!!! Was hoping he'd still have the Heddon in his lip :)

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
One reason I cut off the knot and retie a lure after a nice fish.
Learned it the hard way - more then once.

Not much worse in fishing then feeling the fish pull off - then wind in to find the little curly end of the leader.
Sure sign the knot slipped.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Not me man. Well maybe more than once. When theyre on stong its easiy to keep going without re-tying, leader and all. Thats when it usually happens to me. Leader near the eye gets worn out and then...ping. ****!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Made my first mistake of the year yesterday. Had my power pro break off with a nice rockfish next to the boat. I should off replaced line before the I started fishing this year. What is everyones favorite knots to use Tying knots to lure/ flourocarbon leader to P/P?

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eminent Brothers,
You know I've been experiencing breakoffs with my 3 year old PowerPro right above the 10x10 knot. I lost some lead....no fish.....at the CCNPP because the line broke above the knot. And twice I broke off the leader on my own sinching up a 10x10 line-leader connection. Never had that happen with Fireline. Guess it's time for some new line. Maybe some of that Flame Orange Stren Superbraid

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
You know I've been experiencing breakoffs with my 3 year old PowerPro right above the 10x10 knot. I lost some lead....no fish.....at the CCNPP because the line broke above the knot. And twice I broke off the leader on my own sinching up a 10x10 line-leader connection. Never had that happen with Fireline. Guess it's time for some new line. Maybe some of that Flame Orange Stren Superbraid
If you bought the PowerPro via EBay, I read that there are some knock-offs making their way into the market.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Just about as bad as a poor knot.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
When the flats used to be consistently good in April, I started donating a fly fishing trip for two guys at the Trout Unlimited Banquet auction. The bids went pretty high. All went well for the first couple of years and I was able to provide a memorable trip. As the years went by, the flats became less dependable. The last year I provided a trip, we were having a tough day. As I recall we had not had a hit by mid afternoon. They wanted to use their own equipment and flies. Finally I convinced one of the guys to tie on one of my larger flies, an olive and white all bucktail deceiver seven inches long. Soon after the new fly was attached, the "sport" hooked a fish about 25 pounds--he thought it was 50. The guy did a good job of getting the fish to the boat in good time. I grabbed the leader to lip the fish and the fish shook his head and popped the tippet. I could not believe it and asked the guy what pound tippet he was using. He said 15 pound (those trout guys). It was strong enough to fight the fish but delicate for lipping at the boat. I replaced the tippet with a straight piece of 30 pound but we never got another hit. That was the last auction trip for me. There can still be excellent days on the flats, but the consistency has not been not there for several years.

Yes, of course I have lost a good fish to a poor knot but not for a long time.

·
Registered
14,404 Posts
Never lost a good fish to a poor knot BUT have lost a poor knot to a good fish! :eek2: I have also lost fish to a chipped ceramic rod eye tip. Took a bit to figure out. Thought it was my knots at first............Gary

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm sure it has happened, but not in recent years. I guess there is something to be said about practice, practice, practice. However it doesn;t do any good to practice unless you are practicing to do it correctly.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Lost a big Kingfish yesterday when my no name knot failed, stuff happens, when you fish in the gulfstream it's gong to happen. I have been going to wind on leaders with almost all my rigs now although they are expensive they save alot of time. Tuna, Cobia, Wahoo, and
Dolphin don't care who tied the knot.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
This post must have been a Omen,I lost a decent fish tonight(about 2hrs ago) wasn't a knot that broke,it was from a nicked leader it broke about 10in's above the hook,my fault got lazy and cold..I was on about a 10 year run before tonight,

1 - 20 of 32 Posts