Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There should be a little ice fishing going on here in the upper bay. Anybody thinking of going? I can't wait!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Accually I talked to Herb a little while ago. There's 5-6 inches of ice in the northeast harbor. He said they ain't doing much yet. But I'm off today so I'll prolly give it a try for a while. Gotta go get a new fish'n license too.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
No way man!! I talked to a guy in New Brunswick yesterday. said it was -38 wind chill......I told him how cold it was here...he said...you guys should be wearing flip flops eh?? eh?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Gerald,

I heard just a few weeks ago that they were doing well on yellow perch and crappie before the ice came. Good luck on saturday. Would go but have to work in the afternoon and I don't have no fishing gear for ice fishing.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John,
We can get ya hooked up on gear if you got the cloths and boots ya need. Mike B. and I were out for a while last evening. We caught some yellows but not real good. Plus a coupla bass and a crappie.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I never went ice fishing but I've been wanting to try it. I remember seeing an old coffee table book with a picture of Herb and Mike ice fishing on the NE River. Mike was a kid.

What kind of special boots are you referring to?

·
Registered
13 Posts
John,
We can get ya hooked up on gear if you got the cloths and boots ya need. Mike B. and I were out for a while last evening. We caught some yellows but not real good. Plus a coupla bass and a crappie.
Gerald, I don't have to work till 1 on saturday, have an open house at hances point which is right by there. What time you guys going? I would like to give it a shot. I have a new phone so I lost your # my still the same 410-920-6468 give me a call

·
Registered
890 Posts
The boots are definitely the most important gear, must be very warm, and absolutely not too tight fitting. Don't just add extra sock layers to your regular boots, this will make your feet colder. If you have just "average" cold weather boots add one of those little hand warmer packs into the toe area. Look at the temperature outside, subtract 20 degrees and dress for that temperature in layers. Remember, you are sittin on ice and its cold.

You can use regular rods, but short ice rods are best, because it is much easier if you are close to the hole. If you have a 1-2 ft tip section of an old broken rod, attach that to a dowel and electrical tape a small reel into place for an no cost rod. It is really not worth buying all the gear for down here as some years there isn't even fishable ice. Use very small jigs or very small spoons tipped with a waxworm if you can find them, maggots also work well- if you have some small shad darts laying around, those work well for the perch/ crappie. Fish right at or near the bottom. Fish will bite soft, and a little live bait on the end really is necessary. Light line (2-4#) is ideal. An axe will get you some holes, an auger is obviously much better, but again maybe not worth the purchase for around here. An axe will definitely scare the fish a little, so if you are using one be aware of this if you are fishing around others.

Ice fisherman are notoriously friendly, don't be scared to walk up and see how they are doing. It is not like regular fishing where people don't want to be crowded. Usually someone will drill some holes for you or let you borrow their auger if they have one.

I'm from up north, so I have all the gear. We use tip-ups for the larger fish- bass, pike, etc. usually with a shiner. These are devices you set in the hole and a flag goes up when a fish takes the bait. The excitement lies in mystery of not knowing what the fish is or even if he is still on until you run over to the "sprung" tip up.

Be safe- 4" of good quality ice is recommended. Should be plenty of safe spots this weekend. I will be out somewhere this weekend.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I just came back from checking on my house in Charlestown the north east looks pretty frozen all the way across with a few open spots at the shore line,the harbor up by the Natui goose looked pretty solid,funny to see one little sailboat sitting out there all frozen around her but could hear a rope striking the mast....good luck to you guy's...

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For boots I gotta apair of the military ww2 micky mouse boots. Their bout 40 bucks. Can't beat'm. We don't use tip=ups much but I got enough for both of us if ya wana try'm. I don't like bait'n up with minnows in the extrem cold less your catch'n more that perch. I'd use'm for walleye.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
There is plenty of good ice in the Northeast River. Mike & Herb have been fishing several times in different places.

Ele

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Southern Maryland

Angle and I just measured the ice today on our bluegill pond - 3" to 4" I think there is less around the shoreline.

Not enough ice for me to be out there...what do you need 4" +

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'll give it shot Gerold. I tried a little around the town dock last weekend but could only stay for 20 minutes, darn wind was ripping right thru me. What time ya plannin?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have a couple of ice rods and some 1/32 and 1/64 darts that I made years ago, Pimples and Rapala ice jigs and even have the GI Mickey Mouse boots but since the mystery fisheman wimped out on me, I guess I'll stay home.

Hey Gerald, I think that Berkley makes a grub or waxworm like bait in their Gulp series. wonder if that would work. Has anyone ever tried them on the ice? If you can find them, wax worms or even grass shrimp would be the ticket.

One of they guys at last weeks flea market had a whole load of pimples for a buck each. If I had known it was going to stay cold this long, I would have bought some.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts