Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any scientific evidence as to: Why Keep the EEZ Closed?

There seems to be some finger pointing but I can't find any scientific reason for the EEZ to remain closed.

Does anyone have such a thing?

BTW. I believe the public comment period has been extented 20 days.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[Q]scotty80 originally wrote:
Was there any scientific evidence to close the EEZ before the moratorium happened?
[/Q]

So. You don't know of any either.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[Q]Chumbucket originally wrote:
Why have creel limits at all?
[/Q]

No scientific evidence either?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Still banging that drum eh?
Show me scientific evidence that says opening the EEZ will be good for the breeding stock of striped bass. How will this help the resource?
Everyone... watch his reply... "no scientific evidence"
Right back at ya... tell me how it will help the resource reds. I'm all ears. Give me one reason to open the EEZ that doesn't involve money. There aren't enough officers to enforce the laws as they are now. Open up that large of an area and you are begging for abuse.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[Q]OneMoreCast originally wrote:
Still banging that drum eh?
Show me scientific evidence that says opening the EEZ will be good for the breeding stock of striped bass. How will this help the resource?
Everyone... watch his reply... "no scientific evidence"
Right back at ya... tell me how it will help the resource reds. I'm all ears. Give me one reason to open the EEZ that doesn't involve money. There aren't enough officers to enforce the laws as they are now. Open up that large of an area and you are begging for abuse.
[/Q]

ASMFC tech committee says it should be opened. Where's the money there?

Boats still have to make land somewhere. That's where they can be checked. Where are they going to take the fish to Europe?

Your turn smart a$$.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Hey... old timer... don't get all heated up. Tell me how it is good for the breeding stock?
[/Q]
Well, maybe that Europe idea has some merit, you know, Paris in Springtime, a little bistro, a little wine, a little cheese, next thing ya know...

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My question was and still is: What scientific data is available that points to keeping the EEZ closed?. No could be's, what if's or maybe's.

What is the evidence that it should remain closed?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
My question is...
How is it good for the breeding stock of stripers? ... no maybe's .... no if's ...none of that silly stuff Mister. Are you not interested in the long term health of this resource? Do you need a time out Reds?

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My question is...
How is it good for the breeding stock of stripers? ... no maybe's .... no if's ...none of that silly stuff Mister. Are you not interested in the long term health of this resource? Do you need a time out Reds?
[/Q]

ASMFC has declared the Striped Bass recovered. Where is the problem?

G

·
Since the ASMFC recently declared the Striped Bass to be recovered, I can't see any good reason why we shouldn't return to the practices that wiped them out the last time.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
[Q]reds originally wrote:
My question was and still is: What scientific data is available that points to keeping the EEZ closed?. No could be's, what if's or maybe's.

What is the evidence that it should remain closed?

[/Q]My question is still what scientific data deemed the EEZ closed in the first place?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
--Why not let the Costal Fishery continue thier Rape---We sent them a full load of 28--32" fish untouched this spring -Our hand slap for last year--Loking forward for what 2007's penalty will be ?

--It dosen't pay to raise um , Just to harvest em-[excited]

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[Q]scotty80 originally wrote:

[/Q]My question is still what scientific data deemed the EEZ closed in the first place?
[/Q]

The amount of total stock of Striped Bass was low. Thus the moritorium and the closing of the EEZ for the harvest of Striped Bass.

The total stock of Striped Bass is no longer low. No reason to keep the EEZ closed.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Around 70% of striped bass in the bay have a wasting disease. No one knows the long term impact of this disease on the stocks. There are a few successflu year classes out there. Beyond that... it's pretty slim. Opening up the EEZ won't help these fish in any way.

Oh yeah... nets are good spawning habitat for yellow perch on their spawning runs.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts