Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year , there seems to be more and more people getting the itch to fish too early for rockfish on the flats, including me.:yes:

I have lived in Harford County my enitre life, whether that is a good thing or not.:rolleyes:

This is my outlook on this fishery, it's different every year. Years ago it was ST. PATRICKS's DAY as a time to go to the river and see if the fish are there.:clapping2:

I beleive that with changing conditions up north and the massive amounts of cold water, that comes down every year its changing. The river around Rock Run And DEER CREEK has also changed. There used to be alot deeper pockets and holes. These would hold big schools of herring and shad and the rockfish would be there feeding. I think now from my observastion, that the fish are more scatterd, early in the season.

Remember also that the LARGER MALE fish come first. Take a look at the post from 27 sailfish from this Saturday.:rockingreport: LARGER FEAMLE show @ 2 week of April.

Of course water temp and water clarity play a major role, but I think that I will try to hold off in future years until 1 st week of April...... :bigfish:

Phil (lily)

my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
If you wait till the 1st of April, you can miss alot of good fishing.

At this time last year I had 3, 100+ fish days & 10+ fish over 30" (& everyone was saying that there were no fish on the flats). By the last weekend in March of last year, only one week later, we had 40+ fish over 30" & 10+ fish over 40". The biggest being 48". 1/2 of these fish were take on lures, the rest bait. Then the next two weeks flat out stunk.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I think some rock are there now with more coming every day. I also agree that the bigger females will be around later rather than sooner in the season.

BTW, been perchin' in your area lately?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree , last year was different. We had below avg. precip and above avg. temps. Jan 2006 was the warmest on record ever. So I can see why they where here early.

Phil (lily)

I also only fish with lures , no bait for me except eels @ CBBT= :bigfish:

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny you ask about perch. I went to my spring white perch spot on the big gunpowder, not the park. Farther out towards the RR bridge. Water is still running very cold @ 43. This water is coming from Loch Raven Res. and north of there. Next weekend it should be ready. Need water temps @ 48 for good perchin

Phil(lily)

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Last year was different, that's why I can't put a date on when to start fishing. Also, if I waited for good conditions, or good weather, or positive reports, I wouldn't have gotten any of those fish last year.

There were numerous reports early last year about how the flats were horrible, no fish were showing up & how the end of the fishing world is near(not really...) When in reality, the big rock were there, in big numbers. They (the bigguns) just weren't hitting lures.

Shoot, we caught rock three weeks ago on lures. Take out one stupid snow storm/cold snap & the fishing would be A1 right now.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
I agree with the jug. Before the snow, conditions were looking good and things were ready to break wide slam open, then it all changed.

I also agree with Lilly. The flats in the 60's were covered with grass and development north of the flats was not nearly what it is today. The flats recovered much quicker back then. Runoff did not seem as severe as today.

Agnes of 72 was a storm of 100 year proportions and it took a while to clear after that, but most years spring rains would not kick things up for very long. Things are changing for sure. We just have to be ready and adapt to what we have.

I fish only with lures and flies also, so have to be patient or fish somwhere else.

Happy Times from the Recent Past

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,747 Posts
<A href="mailto:capttomhughesatt.net?subject=Questions on the New 20" Catamaran">Downsizing or Looking for aQuality 20' Catamaran, Single Engine, They're Now on the Market
Wood Free and Supply a Smooth, Dry Ride (no more pounding)
Capt. Tom Hughes - Light Tackle & Fly Fishing the Susquehanna Flats<A href="http://www.capttomhughes.com/Seminars/2007/2007_Scheduled_Seminars.htm">4/8/07-2PM Bass Pro Shop

I strongly recommend not waiting until the TF message board starts receiving good reports. One day they're not hitting and the next they're busting big time.

Capt. Tom Hughes
Full Time Light Tackle & Fly Fishing Guide
<A href="http://www.capttomhughes.com/Trip_Information/Susquehanna_Flats_Guided_Trip_Package.htm">Booking Trips on the Susquehanna Flats
<A href="http://www.capttomhughes.com/Trip_Information/Susquehanna_Flats_Guided_Trip_Package.htm" target=_blank>

<A href="http://www.capttomhughes.com/Trip_Information/Susquehanna_Flats_Guided_Trip_Package.htm" target=_blank>

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Well, I'm waiting until I fix the dozen holes I found in the bottom of the boat yesterday, maybe the bilge pumps won't run as much this season:eek: I'll be ready next week.
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
68 Posts
Remember also that the LARGER MALE fish come first. Take a look at the post from 27 sailfish from this Saturday.:rockingreport: LARGER FEAMLE show @ 2 week of April.
I hear this every year and don't know who started this rumor. I was looking over my logs over the past 6 years and noticed that the largest fish is almost always caught the last week in March. By April 1st I usually have a dozen fish over 40 inches under my belt. Ask Walleye Pete, he'll say the same thing. Most people don't catch big fish until April because they aren't in the right place or using the right bait. Two years ago we caught a 48 incher in 45 degree water March 21st. Muddy water at that....not a boat around either. Guess they were waiting for the 2nd week in April.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I agree, it's different every year, and every day as far as that's concerned. My logs from last year. On 3/15 we marked no fish and caught no fish. On 3/27 we had 100 fish day, and it continued like that for us from then until the end of the flats season. The fish seemed to stay more south last year though. We did not find fish in front of the hospital until the last week of the season.. I know people caught them there on bait, but we were not bait fishing. I also agree that most of the big fish caught early last year were on cut herring. The herring run seemed really weak last year, but the WP were everywhere.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Again like I said in my post. Last year was a freak year because the salinty rate was higher( lack of winter rains and snows)and the warmest Feb.2006 ever on record.

Normal winters and above normal precip will give you fish @ 1 st week of April:thumbup:

Phil (lily):rolleyes:

27 years of observations

·
Registered
700 Posts
I stopped by a local sub shop in Elkmore (Elkton) yesterday to pick up lunch and bags of bloodworms were flying out of the place while I waited. I would say at $8.00 a pop something is happening around here.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Funny you ask about perch. I went to my spring white perch spot on the big gunpowder, not the park. Farther out towards the RR bridge. Water is still running very cold @ 43. This water is coming from Loch Raven Res. and north of there. Next weekend it should be ready. Need water temps @ 48 for good perchin

Phil(lily)
I was at that place last week and you're right, it's cold and devoid of life...

·
Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
1,109 Posts
Blood worm sub

mmmmmmm mmmmmm Those Blood worm subs are delish.... You don't think they would actually feed them to the fish do you ?

For an extra taste sensation get the fried onions and hots...:yes:

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Yo, Jeff- when did we catch those 2 cows a few years back, March or April? I know everybody said it was too cold for topwater:rolleyes: I gotta pound a few new rivets into the bottom of the Duck, I'll be ready to go this weekend, hopefully. Drop me a line if you got some free time.
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Lily, you also must remember that this past February was the coldest on record.

Mike has had great days with big fish, by the middle of March.

For you guys that won't use bait, if this muddy water doesn't clear up, you might as well stay home and make more room for the bait users.

Ele

·
Registered
317 Posts
Right on Ele. Thanks for the FRESH herring today. I plan to put it to good use tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.:thumbup:

·
Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
1,109 Posts
Ele: Us non bait guys are doing just that... staying off the Flats. Sure does suck though... went down by the water in Charlestown today... Hoping to figure a date when to splash the boat... Won't be anytime soon that's for sure. The bait dudes should have plenty of room this week.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts