Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started launching at Cape Charles Harbor last year because its free and no long lines waiting to launch. follow the markers to plantation light and dunk your eels.:yes:

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,293 Posts
Shhhhhh ......... that place is a best kept secret ..... just like Cherrystone Campground ....... don't spoil it :nono:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I`ll be there the last two weeks of Dec but have to drive home for a Christmas visit to keep on the wife`s good side.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Chugbugger, What is the distance from Cape Charles to Plantantion flats?
But then if you want to fish around the bridge you've got a long run back?
It sure is nice there in Cape Charles.
Les

·
3,293 Posts
Chugbugger, What is the distance from Cape Charles to Plantantion flats?
But then if you want to fish around the bridge you've got a long run back?
It sure is nice there in Cape Charles.
Les
36A is basically within sight of Cape Charles Harbour ........ I think the Plantation flats is less than 2 miles from the mouth og the harbour ........ closer than Kiptopeake

·
3,293 Posts
:D:D:D

Did you catch anything last time you were down there?
Worked on Winterizing the trailer and didn't fish much. Winds over 30 ...... 25 degree temps and 2 footers in Cherrystone Lagoon where it is usually flat calm because it is behind a sandbar that is about 1/2 mile out. Looked like a solid thick white line with the waves breaking over the bar ............

Fished a little Sunday morning when the Winds calmed ......... no bites ....... temps REALLY dropped and the water very cloudy ............. fish probably headed to the deeper waters .....

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LES PA about a 2 mile shot to PL but you must stay within the marked channel because of shoals. I do not recommend a straight line run to 36A from the harbor. Please look area over on map before launching. Feel free to PM me for more info. CHUG

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Looks like Cape Charles marina is about 15 miles from the bridge, is that correct?

-JB

·
3,293 Posts
I think it's about 10 by water ........ could be wrong .......... If I'm eeling or fishing for flounder I go out of Cape Charles. If I'm going to the bridge I usually go out of Kiptopeake. It makes the trip home much more pleasant when things get rough.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rhahn I hear there is a launch right before the bridge. I would like to hear if anybody has used it, possibly have to pay a fee.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Worked on Winterizing the trailer and didn't fish much. Winds over 30 ...... 25 degree temps and 2 footers in Cherrystone Lagoon where it is usually flat calm because it is behind a sandbar that is about 1/2 mile out. Looked like a solid thick white line with the waves breaking over the bar ............

Fished a little Sunday morning when the Winds calmed ......... no bites ....... temps REALLY dropped and the water very cloudy ............. fish probably headed to the deeper waters .....
That's a long way around to get to NO.:D Wanna video me gaffing some fish next week?

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
rhahn I hear there is a launch right before the bridge. I would like to hear if anybody has used it, possibly have to pay a fee.
The ramp was discussed at length last year with photos. A search may locate loads of info.

I used it and think there was a fee. It puts you very close to the base of the bridge. It depends a lot on the size of your boat and the captain's boat handling skills. The dock part of the ramp is very short. With a boat 20' or more a large part of the back of the boat will need to be out in a very strong current that wants to push you side ways. When I approached it to take the boat out, I had to use a fair amount of power and shoot for the opening to the right of the one I wanted and at the last second shoot into the opening to the left. I did this in Giant Tuna's 23 Parker. I hit it perfect the first time but would not say I could do it every time. Neither of us thought it was worth it. I will most likely continue to launch at Kipto. The fee is of little consequence when you consider the total cost of the trip.

If you have a small boat or one that is not damaged by banging the dock, the new ramp is OK and will save you some time and running.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Yes I saw that post last year about the ramp. Very informative; the pics were helpful too. Capt Tom Hughes told me about it also. As I recall, I don't think he liked it that much. I haven't used it and don't intend to; doesn't seem worth it to me even if it is a little closer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts