Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.13newsnow.com/story/news...removed-from-norfolk-naval-shipyard/30414321/

Does anyone out there know why the Confederate flag flew at the gate of the Norfolk Naval Shipyard? Time for a history lesson before I go golfing. As the Civil War began the Union ship builders, I believe in D.C. came up with a plan to build an armor covered, unsinkable ship to destroy the Confederate Navy along the southeastern coast. The name of this ship was the Monitor of course. Well the Confederate's got word of what kind of ship the Union was building and in that they had not the resources nor plans developed to build such a ship, they had to make do with what they had. They took an existing ship and covered it with steel plates and called it the Merrimac. The ship was assembled at what is now the Norfolk Naval Shipyard which it was also a ship yard at that time. The Confederates finished the ship the day after or on the same day the Monitor sailed into the Chesapeake Bay. You all know what happen after that. It was for no other reason then this, that the flag was there.

Acey

·
Registered
827 Posts
Andy, correction. Merrimac was the name of the Union ship that was converted, renamed the CSS Virginia. One of the few things I remember from 4th grade Virginia History, guessing maybe your 4th grade Virginia history might have been before the War.:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bosko; Technicalities, technicalities, technicalities. doh Actually it is a either/or. I guess it all depends where you went to school as to how you were taught. You being schooled south of the Mason Dixon Line was taught that it was the battle on the Monitor and the CSS Virginia. The Confederate given name. I being schooled in Penna.; north of the Mason Dixon Line was taught it was the Battle of the Monitor and the Confederate Iron Side Merrimac that took place in the Hampton Roads. This being the name of the converted Union ship. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hampton_Roads :pp Don't matter Bosko; I still Love you like a Brother. :thumbup: :rolleyes: :thumbup:

Acey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts