Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled out of Wildwood at 2:20 in route to the Wilmington where the fishing has been great all week. Of course flat weather, blue skies and boat traffic was not in our favor for a good bite. We started in the West notch and trolled across the trench to the East notch looking for that early morning bigeye bite but no such luck. We worked the notch down to the bight most of the day managing a 40 lb yellowfin and 2 smaller gaffer Dolphin. Finally decided to leave the area and go do some searching. After an hour or so we found a couple squid boats and some pilot whales in the distance and worked them for a bit but no touches so we kept moving along and found a small group a boats that were catching some yfts here and there. This area had a lot more life with scattered weeds, slicks, sulfer lines, birds and the occasional smell of bait in the air. I marked a few pods of fish down between 75-100 feet but couldn't get them to come up. I think we probably missed the bite by an hour or 2 but we did see a couple caught while we were there. Kept on drilling it and marked the pod again and still couldn't get them up. Even put a bait down on the old salty 32 but nothing. Finally around 3:30 the ultimate P/B bar gets absolutely crushed. The explosion looked like a small car was dropped onto the bar from the sky. In about 15 seconds we were already down to a 1/4 spool on the TLD50. We got the fish slowed and started the fight but ended up pulling the hook after a minute or so. What a heart breaker to have the opportunity at a bigeye during the day on such a slow trip but the fish have to win sometimes too I guess. 1 thing is for sure though, the purple bars remain to out fish every other color in the spread. Running the same color ultimate bar behind the same color dredge seems to be the ticket. We had water temps from 72-76 degrees and blue. It looks pretty good in and around the 30 as well so I think it won't be long until we start seeing some catches in there especially with the dragger traffic.

Couldn't ask for a prettier Ocean Sunday!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts