Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All...
I'm in trouble!!! a good trouble though...I love my 2000 Robalo 2220. It has a 225 Merc Opti Max DFI Saltwater edition, Smart Gauges and tons of electronics. Generally a great fishing platform in sea's up to 5'.

Miss Barbie suggest that we look into a boat which is less work to maintain, and can get up on the skinny of the Susky Flats further than we can now. Wants one that is easier to trailer, less weight, less truck to pull it theory...Hose it down and go!!!

Likes the Etec engine's, she has been on their site and at least is willing to look at them.

NEED HELP...what would you look at in my situation...We also fish the Delaware Bay. I want something in the 20'24' range, she don't care as long as it's not to much for one person to handel.

Going to the AC Boat show this week to look around...God help me!!!

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
Welcome to the minimalist boaters club!

Look at:

May-craft
Parker
Judge
Jones Bro's
Steiger
C-Hawk

Awesome deal here on TidalFish: http://www.tidalfish.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/94/cat/4

I know you can get the May-craft, Steiger and C-Hawk with an E-tec as they are not tied with an engine manufacturer. If you look specifically at a CC the May-Craft has a real electronics box and head in the console for the lady and dry storage.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would take a look at BlackLabmarine.com Jay has some very nice boats. BOE in Annapolis is now a dealer and will be getting some boats early this spring. I am not sure if Jay will be at the NJ boat show or not.

Steve

·
Registered
397 Posts
For big and little water, I would have to recommend a Triton 220 or 240 LTS, with a four stroke. I have a friend that has one and he uses it everywhere from one foot shallows on the Potomac to Rudee. he pulls it with a Chevy with a 5.3 no problem. And the stripers really seem to like it as well !!!;) PM skinnywater and ask his opinion.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Look at the Pathfinder's in AC. South Harbor Marine should have them at the show. I have the Pathfinder 2200V and it's extremely light, handles ruff seas, and can go in 12" of water. Very versitile. WWW.PATHFINDERBOATS.COM

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Hey Bruce hope things are going well with you and look forward to seeing you in a few months. Now you know those Carolina Skiffs are great in skinny water and they have lots of room….:D

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
For big and little water, I would have to recommend a Triton 220 or 240 LTS, with a four stroke. I have a friend that has one and he uses it everywhere from one foot shallows on the Potomac to Rudee. he pulls it with a Chevy with a 5.3 no problem. And the stripers really seem to like it as well !!!;) PM skinnywater and ask his opinion.
Ditto on the LTS for skinny water, I'm off to AC also.

·
Registered
387 Posts
She didn't say get a new boat, she said different boat. What you need is a different boat for different situations. Keep the boat you have now for big water and just get something smaller for the flats. I picked up a 16' Steiger Craft skiff on the internet for under $3000 thats perfect for the flats. I use my skiff more than my bigger boat.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would say a 2002 26 ft fs regulator (dark blue)with 2006 twin 250(70 hours) yammy four stokes, 10 inch 958 northstar , back up 952 northstar,10 and 7 inch nav net with 4 kw dome and 1 kw transducer, uniden 625 x 2 vhf radios ans 800x northstar loran......................poly planar
stereo with 2 sets of bose 131 speakers. 16 hod holders,carbon fiber outriggers.....oh and maybe a trailer.....If that sounds good I think I know where you can find one

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Hey Max I'll give tou 50k for it. Ok? LOL It's not like it's a Yellowfin:p

Seriously though it sounds like you need a big Carolina Skiff or the shallow Parker like Walleye Pete has. Of course you fish Delaware bay and I don't fish that body of water in anything under 30 foot. I've seen that place go from flat to white knuckle in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Well, if you don't have to prove the size of your willy, look for a used Starcraft. Light, easy to one man launch/recover, will go into 8"-10" of water with the main motor tilted up. They come in center console and cuddy configs up to 24'. Just saw a nice 24' on traderonline.com. It ain't no 3' seas and 30 knot boat, but my 21' holds it's own at CBBT and the flats.
Pat in Joppa

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother,
I'm on the other end of the spectrum and wish SWMBO would say we need a bigger boat. TriState has a Parker 23 Pilot Cabin just waiting for me, but alas.....SWMBO has no intention of letting me get a newer & bigger boat. Something about Bludworm going to college.......

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,749 Posts
I'll be at the AC Boat Show on Thursday!

Click on Links Below:Tom Hughes Guide ServiceClick on Links Below:
2/17 & 2/24 Lecture Series-Hunt ValleyFull TimeSusquehanna Flats
3/3-Combined Seminar-Dundalk (Trolling, Bottom Bouncing, Light Tackle & Fly Fishing)Light Tackle & Fly Fishing Guide2006 Photos

Bruce: Take a look, and a sea trial on a windy day, at a planing hull catamaran. I presently own a 22' power catamaran planing hull boat and it takes me into skinny water or offshore. The hull weight is 1500#. I also recommend a drive or float on trailer made of aluminum. After each trip I flush out the motors and hose it down, approximately 20 to 30 minutes maximum...then she's ready to take me fishing again.

I enjoy guiding and fishing out of my boat, because after a long day on the water it's easy to load and maintain.

Whatever you purchase good luck with your new boat.

Capt. Tom Hughes

Full Time Light Tackle & Fly Fishing Guide

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts