Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A SMALL 2 ACRE POND WITH ALOT OF NICE BASS.THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS I HAVE BROKE ONE OFF AND MY FATHER-IN-LAW 3 OR 4!ONE OF HIS WAS A WHOLE JITTER-BUG,MINE WAS A 4/0 WORM HOOK.JUST WONDERING IF THESE FISH WILL SURVIVE?I HAVE BEEN TOLD THEY WILL RUST OUT.IS THERE ANY TRUTH TO THIS OR JUST AN OLE-TIMERS TALE?THANKS-MATT

·
Registered
41 Posts
The hooks will rust out. No matter what brand or style. Even the stainless steel are not high purity and will rust. It takes a little longer in freshwater but it will happen.

Rockonafly

·
Registered
477 Posts
Not sure if they will rust out. Even if they do it is a GREAT idea to get new line and/or stronger line and you won't have these problems.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a spot where I get a lot of lures on low tides (freshwater though). Many have no hooks but about half do. I think it takes a long time (two years maybe) for them to rust off. Electrolysis could be a factor as the split rings are always in good shape.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
I agree with Billx8.I'd mash the barbs down and just use single hooks.That way if it happens again they have a better chance to shake it loose.

·
Registered
320 Posts
i think the bass will get rite of them pretty quick. i have had the oppertunity" i can't spell good" to watch a bass work a lure out of his mouth. they bang around tree limbs and things and work them out. yes they do rust pretty fast. let a little water get in your tackle box and sit there and you will see just how long it takes. trust me

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I USUALLY DONT LOOSE TOO MANY FISH,I USE 12LB P-LINE AND IT HOLDS UP PRETTY GOOD!IVE CAUGHT SOMEWHERE AROUND 10-12 BASS OVER 7 AND ONE OVER 8 OUT OF THE POND.BUT MY FATHER-IN-LAW MIGHT AS WELL BE USING A SNOOPY POLE!I CANT GET HIM TO TRY ANYTHING ELSE!THE ONE HE LOST ON THE JITTER-BUG JUMPED CLEAN OUT OF THE WATER ABOUT TEN MIN. AFTER HE LEFT!SO ATLEAST THE FELLA WAS TRYING TO THROUGHIT!(STILL BOTHERS ME THOUGH-WE THROW ALL OF THEM BACK) THANKS FOR THE REPLIES-MATT[grin]

·
Registered
477 Posts
Matt, sounds like you gotta nice pond there and what a site seeing that big one jumping later. If I were you, I might buy my pop in law a better rig for dad's day...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IVE TRIED,HE WONT USE ANYTHING ELSE!I GAVE HIM A STOUT SHIMANNO ROD;BUT HE PUT THAT LITTLE SHAKESPEARE REEL ON IT!

·
Registered
126 Posts
They will rust out. I have caught bass with rusty hooks sticking out of their butts. Really, no kidding. The swallowed hook often passes. The stomach acid corrodes the hook and takes the edge and temper out of the steel. I have also caught fish with rusty remnants of hooks and lures sticking out of their jaws.

when I gut hook a fish, I can sometimees reach through the gills and take wire cutters and cut off the barb. After I do that, the rest of the hook slips out easily. Or, I pull the hook, pushing the barb in the direction the hook is pointing. I then cut the line after the hook is free. That way I do not have to fight the barb. Do not try to free a barb that is sticking in a bass by "fighting" the barb.

If a hook is sticking in "your" lip, do you think it would be better to push the point out of the flesh it is in, freeing the barb, or force the barb out by pulling in the direction opposite where the point is sticking ?

If you can't get the hook out, release fish with hook imbedded.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts