Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an excerpt from this moron's show. Now he's supposed to be the guest speaker at the Center for Missing/Exploited Children this March. I hope they reconsider after this....:mad: :mad: :mad:

O'Reilly: Abducted child "liked ... his circumstances," had "a lot more fun" than usual
Summary:
On the January 15 edition of Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor, host Bill O'Reilly said of Shawn Hornbeck -- who was abducted at the age of 11, held for four years, and recently found in Missouri -- that "there was an element here that this kid liked about this circumstances" and that he "do[esn't] buy" "the Stockholm syndrome thing." O'Reilly also said: "The situation here for this kid looks to me to be a lot more fun than what he had under his old parents. He didn't have to go to school. He could run around and do whatever he wanted." When fellow Fox News host Greta Van Susteren pointed out that "ome kids like school," O'Reilly replied: "Well, I don't believe this kid did."
The following day, during his "Talking Points Memo" segment, O'Reilly responded to viewer mail criticizing his comments about Hornbeck. O'Reilly concluded: "I hope he did not make a conscious decision to accept his captivity because" his kidnapper "made things easy for him. No school, play all day long."
O'Reilly frequently casts himself as a champion of children. He has also suggested that he is "looking out for the kids" and attacked "the print press" for not "car[ing] about the children."
From the January 16 edition of Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor:
O'REILLY: The kidnapping of those two boys should be front-page news in your house if you have kids. I actually hope I'm wrong about Shawn Hornbeck. I hope he did not make a conscious decision to accept his captivity because Devlin made things easy for him. No school, play all day long.

But to just chalk this up to brainwashing and walk away is turning away from the true danger of child molesters and abductors. All American children must be taught survival skills, must be prepared to face crisis situations. That is the lesson of the Shawn Hornbeck story. And that's the "Memo."
From the January 15 edition of Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor:
O'REILLY: "Impact" segment tonight, the disturbing case of the two kidnapped boys in Missouri. As you know, police found 15-year-old Shawn Hornbeck in an apartment of 41-year-old Michael Devlin last week, along with 13-year-old Ben Ownby. Both boys allegedly had been kidnapped by Devlin, who ran a pizza place in the town of Kirkwood. Shawn had been missing for four years.
And the question is, why didn't he escape when he could have? There are all kinds of theories about that. Joining us now from Washington, Greta Van Susteren, who has been out to Missouri reporting on the case.
All right, you know, the Stockholm syndrome thing, I don't buy it. I've never bought it. I didn't think it happened in the Patty Hearst case. I don't think it happened here.

[...]
O'REILLY: I'm not buying this. If you're 11 years old or 12 years old, 13, and you have a strong bond with your family, OK, even if the guy threatens you, this and that, you're riding your bike around, you got friends. The kid didn't go to school. There's all kinds of stuff. If you can get away, you get away. All right? If you're 11.
[...]
O'REILLY: This is what I believe happened in the Hearst case and in this case. The situation that Hearst found herself in was exciting. She had a boring life. She was a child of privilege. All of a sudden, she's in with a bunch of charismatic thugs, and she enjoyed it. The situation here for this kid looks to me to be a lot more fun than what he had under his old parents. He didn't have to go to school. He could run around and do whatever he wanted.

VAN SUSTEREN: Some kids like school.
O'REILLY: What?
VAN SUSTEREN: Some kids like school.
O'REILLY: Well, I don't believe this kid did. And I think when it all comes down, what's going to happen is, there was an element here that this kid liked about his circumstances.

[...]

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
A better question is at what point did this become acceptable for public debate? We are talking about a kid here.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Ive listened to the OReilly radio show, TH and ss are wrong about O Reilly, probably taken out of context, he's always been an advocate for kids. He went postal on the judges in Vermont who gave something like a 60 day sentence to child molesters, recently. He called Vermont a disgrace. That doesnt sound like someone who is not sympathetic to molested children. As usual our so called independent pundits never tell the whole story.

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
You didn't read it did you, Frank?

O'Really has often been caught where his actions have run counter than the babble he gives on his radio program which I used to listen to. Read it Frank and if you don't believe the cut and paste here go online and read the full transcript. It is telling.

This man will say virtually anything to get an audience going. With this one it is time that everyone turn him off; for good.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Im just telling you what I heard him say about Vermont, apparently he took some heat. There wasnt any big gain for him going after the Vermont judge. I think he was sincere. Go ahead and prove me wrong but I think your all wet on this one.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
TH, the circumstances of the case are very odd , the media has put the story out for all to see as usual, O'Reily isnt the only one talking about it, he states an unsugarcoated opinion that may be right on, sounds to me like a pretty good one. Why do you think he stayed?

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
I don't care. None of my business. Dont think speculating over this is constructive. If it were my kid I wouldn't like it. He didn't go looking fo rthe lime light, it found him. Enough reasons for you?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ive listened to the OReilly radio show, TH and ss are wrong about O Reilly, probably taken out of context, he's always been an advocate for kids. He went postal on the judges in Vermont who gave something like a 60 day sentence to child molesters, recently. He called Vermont a disgrace. That doesnt sound like someone who is not sympathetic to molested children. As usual our so called independent pundits never tell the whole story.
Frank, are you already getting 'Florida syndrome'? The post was a direct quote from O'reilly himself from his tv show. can you please tell me how I "got it wrong" or out of context? The video clip of him saying it has been all over tv as well. Defending him on this would be like defending Jeffrey Dahmer or JW Gacy.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The kid was 11 when taken. What if the guy said I'll kill your entire family if you run away. I have two small kids and they if anything, are impressionable. If the kid really loverd his family, and was terrified enough, anything is possible. Grownups do the same thing, i.e. Jonestown in Guyana and David Koresh's little paradise in TX.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
SS Your trying to portray him as a pro molester advocate, I refuted that with the Vermont example, obviously you didnt check that one out or you dont listen to him. I catch him around 12 when Im out and about. Thats just my take on O'Reilly and his stance on molesters.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts