Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the week off with the intention of fishing the Tangier Sound every day. Spent the week at a campground on the Eastern Shore, hoping to get out each day for some fishing and some relaxation in the afternoon, but the wind didn't allow for much of either.

Monday through Thursday was a complete blowout, with a pissed off bay.......

Fortunately the croakers are now in pretty thick, so we were able to grab some light tackle gear and some bloodworms, and get some pullage from shore. Kept about a dozen to fry up.

Thursday night the storms rolled through, then the wind finally laid down.
Friday morning we finally got out a little after 7AM in the Sound and set the spread. We managed to pick up one 36 incher on a chartreuse umbrella about 70 feet back. We marked fish all day long, but just couldn't pick up any more, and from the reports i received from others in the area they didn't do any better.
Water temp was 66-68, and i think the majority of the fish have spawned and headed into the main stem of the bay. There was baitfish everywhere.
The lone fish we caught was pulled in by my uncle, who had never caught a Rock before, but i had another uncle with me that i wanted to put on a fish as well, but just couldn't get it done, but it wasn't from a lack of effort.

Coming back into port there was a sailboat turned on its side up in the shallows near the beach. When we arrived at the ramp a Sheriffs Deputy and the Fire Dept were unloading a boat to go check it out. We later heard that a distress call was sent out, and that the owner of the sailboat was missing. The Coast Guard and MD State Police choppers, along with the Fire Dept and DNR searched the area well into dark, and then resumed the search this morning.
Here's a news link, keep the missing boater and his family in your prayers.......
http://www.wboc.com/story/14545862/search-for-missing-boater-off-nanticoke-river

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Lack of immediate Search & Rescue, Why?

What the Hell is going on ????---Bay is thick with boats , Fishing, Sailing, Boating, Joy Riding, Migrating, ( Fla. to north & we loose) People -

Channel 16,22, & 13 should be in YOUR VHF SCANNING Mode--SO YOU CAN HELP, giving Family Condolences is Secondary to EARLY RESCUE !!, Put the cell phone Down & Moniter whats going on --geo.

Capt. Nice Fish, I can't go to shorts this early, Usually May 21st -geo. Above is in no way Directed toward you, I'm just pissed at the loss of life last week, Something is WRONG !!!-Loss of life near a Entrance to a Harbour is Mind Boggling to me --

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand Capt George, i'm guilty of not monitoring 16 as much as i should myself. I'm thinking the coordinates may not have got out in the distress call because there was no mention of anyone sending a distress call on 68, and there were plenty of boats close by that would have rushed to him.

I haven't heard anymore details, but the boat was nearly beached, i'm talking about 2 ft of water, so i'm thinking the owner may have went overboard well before the boat hit the shallows.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Thanks for the report, Hollywood9s.

I listened to that going down on the radio. I didn't hear the distress call though, just police traffic. Sounded like they were on it pretty fast but it did take a long time to get a chopper in the air. They said they came out of Chrisfield and the accident was at the mouth of the Nanticoke but still a 30 minute ETA.

Lots of crazy stuff on the radio yesterday as well. Barge adrift, disabled ship, sailboater ran aground at the mouth of the Magothy and panicked and was still on the air to to the coast guard when he remembered he had an engine and started it and got lose. Then there was somebody reporting a ship on fire at Annapolis anchorage only to come back and say, "my bad, it was just engine exhaust." Another report of two flares sighted at Poplar Island just before dark, and I think that was that same guy who reported the smoking freighter so it didn't sound like anything came of it.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I"m glad there is some that agree with me , The Breezy Point Deaths were sad , but I do understand that boat SANK & did not float using its Bow Bubble it may have come because of Excessive Engine Weight

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Nice fish & thanks for the report.Yesterday was pretty crazy,I scan all channels when on the water...you never know when someone may need your help and you maybe be the only person close by to help.

The wind was pretty bad later in the day depending where you were.I was coming through Kent narrows starting the long trek back to Sandy point.I almost had to seek shelter.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Hollywood9s congratulations on your uncles first fish.
The weather has people makeing unsafe decisions, we trolled yesterday out of Chesapeake Beach & saw at least three aluminum skiffs going out with four people & no life jackets on heading out into 3.5 & 4' chop. no idea what they we're thinking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts