Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Kids--Long time lurker here figured I would come out from under my rock.

So, what is the scoop on Windmill Pt Reef? Not the light but the reef 1.4 NM north? Fished it today and managed a couple of croaker. Finding the structure was somewhat of a challenge but that might be my thru-hull transducer. Does anyone fish this site?

·
Registered
561 Posts
you have to zoom in on the bottom on your sounder to find the structure because I dont think they have dumped much stuff there. I have been wondering if they plan to put anymore stuff there. It seems to me that adding to and finishing exsisting reefs would be easier and more beneficial than fighting to open new ones. Who knows. Maybe now our licenses have gone up they will have more money to spend on reefs but I am not going to hold my breath.

Andy

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Searched it out last year or the year before, was unimpressed. Too small and scattered for my taste. If you got to zoom in to see it, well... Maybe others have had luck but the ledge of the bar is got more structure than that "reef".

The Rockpile off stingray has more of a profile

·
Registered
421 Posts
The buoy is way off the actual reef. Will try to remember to get the coords for you. Haven't had much luck there myself.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The local buzz is that the material intended for a reef is sunken into the muck and mud which has existed for some time in that area; they should have asked some local watermen.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Here's the coordinates:

N 37 37.269'
W 76 14.023'

Anybody ever catch any tautog off it? It'd be a nice winter trip.

·
Registered
659 Posts
When the reef was built someone put the numbers on this board. I just happen to write them down. They gave all four corners.
37 37 616N 37 37 616N 37 36 919N 37 36 919N
76 14 583W 76 13 708W 76 14 583W 76 13 708W
NW corner NE corner SW corner SE corner

Hope this helps.
Bubba[angel][angel][angel]

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hey, that grid is cool! I've only been fishing one quarter of the reef! Thanks! Looks like I need to do more homework on the VMRC site.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Clarkaa I was hoping you wouldnt bring out that grid.....just kidding. Naw that thing is awesome I have it all plotted on my GPS and I can go to where I know the structure is supposed to be and do my thing. I have had just as good of luck there as most other places. As for the asphault pile we have had decent luck there too just be carefull about anchoring...I snagged an old barge cable there not too long ago and just about had to cut my anchor line to get free(wind was blowin NW 20-25kt) YIKES!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found the reef by snagging it during a drift. I did find some of the signature with the transducer but not in the locations that VMRC provided--that doesn't totally surprise me since GPS coords can be off depending on the unit taking or reading. Sitting on a mud bottom would also explain some of what I saw and did not see especially when I got snagged (there was NO signature on the transducer but I was immediately east of it about 50yrds).

The rockpile you refer to off of Stingray is the light it-self? I have found the bar drop off just east of it on the outgoing tide to be productive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts