Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Windmill Pt. and mouth of river yesterday on incoming tide. Caught 3 rockfish <18" off the rocks at the light casting a 1/4 oz grub. Then trolled 1.5 hours for the blues and spanish - nothing! Saw one blue break the surface. Tried bottom fishing break along south side of bar, one croaker. In to point off Sturgeon Creek, over about 10 drifts got one 13" and one 21" flounder, and one large croaker. The flounder was 4 lbs, me happy! Off to the Outer Banks now for a week of family fun. Taking two kayaks to fish Sound, and will fish the surf too. Good luck to all t his weekend!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I fished some grass beds from the yak yesterday in Fleets Bay; didnt have the first hit. Keep your eyes open for those brown things while your down south in your yak. I encountered some on the south side of the point last week but no hook-ups. Big blues and spanish are hittin pretty good along with just about everything else. Let us know how you do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
got out to WP Saturday morning - birds were working just to the east .... blues. tried the bottom, nothing.
Circled back around to Little Bay - tried a few passes, picked up some big ole fat croakers, 1 fat flounder that didn't make length - coupla' smaller blues ....

Still looking for flounder ... any help ?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Outer Banks was great fun, great weather, but fishing stunk! Not just me either. Did a lot of surf fishing and casting grubs in Sound, and net result was one small spec, one 14" flounder, and one unidentified shark. Not even bait stealers! Steady 10-15 SW wind most of trip. I think maybe one cobia was taken from a pier, and one big drum from a yak at the Point!

I'm new to the flounder thing too, but have been starting to score drifting mummichog/squid combos on bottom off larger points with firm bottom and gradual slopes to deep water. All flounder I've got this year have been in 15-21' of water.

Hey, where's a good place to put the kayak in to fish the grass in Fleet's Bay?

·
Registered
236 Posts
bob g,
there really are not any public access points close to the grasses in Fleets/Liitle Bay for kayaks. I put in off of a piece of private property. I looked at some 2002 arials and SAV maps from VIMS and there is some difference in SAV now compared to then. I guess in the past two years it was too hot on the grass and a lot of it died off. We can only hope that the area will seed itself again. ont get me wrong, there is still some grasses there but a lot of bare areas.

·
Registered
286 Posts
There were two public launch facilities there. One put you on Antipoison Creek and the other was the campground at Foxwells. Are they still in operation?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah, Little Bay campground would be the closest eventhough its not really a public ramp i think they will let people launch for a fee. Not sure, never done it. Actually that would be a good place to launch from because there are some grass flats around the corner at North Point. Might be worth a try.

Bob g, send me a message if you want to yakak that area this weekend sometime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts