Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are coming down to the Rappahannock on Memorial Day Weekend. What are the best winds for Flat water on the Rappahannock? Is it relatively flat at 15 mph to 20 mph, from the west/southwest?
I have a 16 ft. Jon Boat and don't want to get the Mrs. too wet. She might melt. LOL oops WOS (Wife over shoulder).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Where on the Rapp. are you planning to be? 20 mph winds can make a good chop. I don't know how much wind we're suppose to be getting for the weekend myself.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you're going to be out in the middle of the river, you may be getting we in 20 mph winds in the jon boat, depending on how it sets in the water. I just checked the weather at Tappahannock for the weekend and it looks like a chance of thunderstorms. Just keep an eye on the weather for the weekend. The croaker seem to be shallow right now so you may be able to find a protected creek holding some fish. I haven't been out of Tappahannock yet this year but plan to this weekend. I usually fish down river. I can't give you any suggestions on creeks or protected areas to fish. Maybe someone else can give you some help there. I hope you get some fish in the cooler.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
Agree with CR. Unless conditions are near perfect, the river isn't the place for a jon boat. You might consider a creek, Piscataway, Cat Point, etc.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I was in Farnham just south of Tappahannock this past weekend and the wind was blowing about 20+ all day but about 6 or so in the evening it would die down and actually that was when the croakers were hitting. Once the sun came up all that you would catch were catfish. Early morning was also a good time cause the wind didn't start til about 9 or so.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I came over the bridge at Tappahanock last Friday pm and it was blowing a good 15-20 down the river. 3 guys in a jon boat were out there bailing and were one good wave from swimming.

Boat was about 14 feet long. Those are the guys you read about Sunday morning that are missing.

If you stay close to shore in the lee, there are plenty of creeks to hide and fish on the Rapp.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I used to take my 16' Mirrocraft out near Parrot Island by the route 3 bridge and have no issues - we bailed the croaker there on the flat near the green can buoy on the south side of the river. Now, this was before I was married , about ten years ago, and the biggest problem in my fishing life was running out of beer due to my croaker and striper buddy John drinking the lion's share... Now, taking your wife there, that's a decision that only you can make, but the wind usually is OK that far upriver unless it is out of the NE and has time to develop while it crosses the river.

Feeshon ( a reformed jon boat user ) [grin]

·
Registered
152 Posts
[Q]hookman571 originally wrote:
We are coming down to the Rappahannock on Memorial Day Weekend. What are the best winds for Flat water on the Rappahannock? Is it relatively flat at 15 mph to 20 mph, from the west/southwest?
I have a 16 ft. Jon Boat and don't want to get the Mrs. too wet. She might melt. LOL oops WOS (Wife over shoulder).
[/Q]

I agree with the previous poster that it will be too windy for safety down river from the Tapp Bridge if its 15-20 or even somewhat less. The Rapp has a nasty chop and ripper of a tide. Also, something nobody else has mentioned, is the tremendous boat traffic that will be out there this weekend. This will further be a PIA. My wife would kill me.

I have caught a lot of nice trout in some of the creeks above the Tapp bridge on the South side of the river if fishin's on your mind.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
A 15-20 mph SW wind will be blowing directly across the river. You should be fine launching at Tappahannock in almost any boat as long as you stick close to that side of the river.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am unlucky enough to only visit my cottage about 3X per year, and ask alot of fishing questions here (thanks) but I know seamanship and know the Rapp is more than a tidal stream. I would never subject my wife to it on Memorial Day Weekend, with or without snot, in a John Boat.

My .o2.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts