1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you know how much it costs?

Heard any problems with lot security?

Who do I contact?

Pretty sure I am going to try and NOT tow back and forth all winter long, if it can be avoided.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Call stingrays. It's a fenced in lot. I think around $75 a month.

The hotels in the area offer free boat storage just as long as you stay there once a month. Plus the more popular one has a camera I believe. I kept my boat one summer at the place next to Chris's bait and tackle, stayed there a few nights and it didn't cost me a penny, besides the room fee. I never had a problem with anyone taking anything.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Cape Charles Marine Inc
Rte 13 & 641
Cape Charles, VA 23310
757-331-2414

Hey Josh, I called Cherrystone and you can only store a boat if your a camper. I did call this place and they store for $40 a month. However, when I asked him what kind of storage, he replied(in a a-hole tone) "What do you mean what kind of storage, hav'nt you been hear before". So you would have to call and get your own feel for the guy or maybe someone on hear has used him.

Bill

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Josh, I stored mine in the lot beside Stingrays a couple of years ago and it worked fine but it can get a little soft there after a rain or snow melt (just grass). I belive it was something like $60 a month. A few of the guys use the Kiptopeke Inn parking lot and Chris's and I believe both are free or low cost. No real security though and that was my issue. Jim.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Call stingrays. It's a fenced in lot. I think around $75 a month.

The hotels in the area offer free boat storage just as long as you stay there once a month. Plus the more popular one has a camera I believe. I kept my boat one summer at the place next to Chris's bait and tackle, stayed there a few nights and it didn't cost me a penny, besides the room fee. I never had a problem with anyone taking anything.
Is this the lot just past Stingrays on the left heading south? Thinking about the same thing. Trying to figure out if I will be able to get down enough to make it worth while.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Good info.

I have heard a lot of CBBT fishermen talking about leaving their boats (free) at the Kipto Inn. That has worked well for many in the past. If because of the price of fuel more want to do it, there may not be adequate space for everyone. It got real tight at times last year. It is good there are alternatives.

I have been considering Stingrays, but I fish on other boats down there some of the time. Even though the goal is to go every week, weather always has a say. I think I managed five multiple day trips last year. There are always some weeks that are just not fit to go.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
What about the other side of the bridge. That's where it gets dicey and there is little room. Plus without security, that is where it can be a real issue. A lot of theft issues over there for some reason.

Being said that, there's Bubbas that offers a striper special but it's not secure. I've used a marine place just up the road from bubbas in the past that was not secure and never had a problem. Although I don't have much to take on my boat.

If you do a search on the Va Board, there are a lot of options. Mostly public storage places that are a few miles inland.

You can almost always hide from the wind on that side plus it's closer to the CBBT, HRBT, Cape Henry, Ocean, NC..... you get the idea. Just not closer to the high rise and 9 foot shoal, hence why this board prefers the eastern shore. Right?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think this board mostly prefers the eastern shore because that's the way we come down and dont want to tow across the bridge.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I second Kipto Inn.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also concerned about snow piling on the cover and having to make a 4 hour drive to address the problem... although that sounds like a good enough excuse to go fishing :)

I'm leaning towards the stingrays lot. Easier to just wash the boat, cover it, and drive home quite a bit faster without a boat in tow and about twice the gas mileage. Not to mention it will be so nice not to have to wash the boat and put it away when i get home!

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
The tow down there royally sucks, no doubt.

As for washing your boat and all, and even flushing your engine; As you leave Kipto, there is an area to wash your gear and boat with a hose. But the nozzle of the hose is the coolest part. It's shaped like a narrow gun barrel and it just so happened to be the perfect size to fit inside my hose flush adapter on the back of my Honda 130. So I could flush my engine without putting on muffs. They make a tool that screws in to the adapter to fit on the end of a hose so you can flush an engine without the muffs, But I didn't need it with the Kipto hose.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I think this board mostly prefers the eastern shore because that's the way we come down and dont want to tow across the bridge.
Who wants to tow accross that bridge? I never said that. Stay on the other side for the reasons I mentioned. Even coming from Baltimore it's a quicker drive, just as long as you miss the traffic. But maybe the Eastern Shore is just cooler. I do like it over there.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Josh, I had my boat at Kiptopeke Inn for almost three months last year with no problems. As long as you stay there it's free. Talked to others and they didn't have any problem either. Not a bad deal.

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Gradybaby kept his Southport there last winter, it was cheap and was a nice fenced in lot, only thing missing last year was a ligt or lights, maybee they added some over the summer. Sure saves on towing costs if you don't fish WWD's and the CBBT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts