Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know alot of you fish for the big blues in the winter months but how about channels ? Anyone catch them in the rivers here during the colder months or is the water too cold ? A few years ago we got some in the winter months in Ohio and it seemed the better the river was moving the better the fishing was . Thanks in advance for any replies. Dan P.s I do alot of my fishing between Suffolk and Courtland.

·
Registered
556 Posts
you can catch a ton of channels on the James above the fall line in the winter

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks , Sounds like alot of fun on the medium tackle I use . I'm not real familiar with the James at all and I only have a 13'.6" jon boat with a 9.9 yamaha I fish with . Where is the fall line located and is my boat too small ? Thanks again.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Big cat I will check it out. Sounds like a ride from Chesapeake ? But hey if the fishing is good what the heck huh ! Lol Dan

·
Registered
887 Posts
If I were you I would get on 64W, take exit 242A (Jamestown exit) take 199W to Rt.5W. Just before you get to the Rt.5 Bridge turn right into Chickahominy River Front Park, pay 5 bucks at the store put your boat in on Gordon's creek, go out to the Chick, turn right, go up river and take the third creek on the right (4th if you include Gordon Creek), it is called Yarmouth creek and connects to Shipyard creek back in the marsh. The sun warms the mud up, which warms the water and if you fish some of the sharp bends and holes back in there you can clean up on the channels during the winter time. If you could still eat cats out of the river I probably would not divulge that info. but I am on strike and I don't care anymore. Go get em. Shrimp and nightcrawler on the same hook is a good combo, cut bait is good too. -Kepone

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Kepone ! I rarely keep them but from time to time a buddy from work likes to keep a couple when he fishes with me. I am fortunate enough to have a Dad that has buddies drop off fish all the time , for instance the togs a couple of days ago and they were still kickin. Still sounds like fun to me though. Is there any temp. when it gets too cold that just shuts them off ?? Sorry for the 20 questions and I do appreciate all the replies. Thanks Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts