Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is not much to fish for this time of year but blue catfish are hungry and ready to take your bait. Catch small ones for table fare or an 80 pound monster to catch and release. Below are pictures of cats in the cooler, filleted, deep fried and smoked. Go get you some......... Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Can you send me some of the smoked ones so I can do a quality control review! Man they look good. I usually wind up grilling mine with butter and Cajun Bayou seasoning.

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you send me some of the smoked ones so I can do a quality control review! Man they look good. I usually wind up grilling mine with butter and Cajun Bayou seasoning.
Hey Jerry, I'll trade you some for some perch jigs!! I like the flatheads better on the grill....... Gary

·
Registered
126 Posts
Are you out on Potomac? I fish them in upper bay flats area but got to get down that way. Any boat launches or sections of river you would reccomend

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you out on Potomac? I fish them in upper bay flats area but got to get down that way. Any boat launches or sections of river you would reccomend
There is a free launch at Gravelly Point. It's a Federal Park in the GW Parkway at National Airport. I fish the Potomac river from Georgetown to Fort Washington....... Gary

·
Registered
100 Posts
Let’s go cat fishing he said. Let’s keep some catfish for eating he said. The kids (in their 20’s) are going out in a separate boat and we’ll all catch and keep catfish for a party. 3 of them in one boat, 2 of us in another and we fished through a tide.

Boat, anchored, bottom rigs, weight as necessary. We never moved off the bight.

When we got back to the house we discovered that between what we kept and what the kids kept there must have been several hundred pounds. Only two of us knew how or would be agreeable to undress these river monsters, some over 20 lbs., most in the 3-5 lb. range. We had thrown back the shorts. The kids bolted once they unloaded the boat and my buddy and I cleaned catfish for what seemed like several hours. We were using a wheelbarrow to haul the remains away, several trips. I almost filled a 54 quart Igloo with bags of fillets and so did my buddy. We were eating them fixed several different ways. My wife said not to bring anymore home for a while. We liked the blues better than the channels.

These bluebird days might be good for fishing but they are disappointing for my waterfowling. I'd take duck over a catfish any day.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
I
I was reading some articles on cooking crappies and one stood out since I like blackened and smoked fish. Dip the fillets in melted butter , apply blackened fish seasoning , then put in the smoker. This sounds like the best of both recipes for any fish to me.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Need the temps in the upper 30's at least, sunshine, little to no wind and ....... time.
I'll be out on the upper bay.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I’d ragher be fishing on mine and keeping the engine running and lubricated.
Plus nice sunny days without wind and very few boats out are actually enjoyable.
Can either sit on the couch thinking about and watching it on tv or go out and do it

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
There’s a lot of things to do this time of year instead of cat fishing. Deer season is still in and if you want a prime red or gray fax, nows the time

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
I sometime mix them together. I use Land O Lakes Fresh Buttery Taste .No Cholesterol . I use about 2 gal. of olive oil a year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts